GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Will basecamp recognize my etrex legend ?

Started by no_trails_here, June 10, 2012, 06:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_trails_here

Or do I have to use mapsource ? I am using a ATEN serial to usb converter and mapsource recognizes my legend. I am running Windows 7 64 bit home premium. Also the mapsource installer installed mapsource at C:/garmin and not in my 64 bit program files of the x86 (32bit) program files. Is this normal ? Thank you for any comments in advance !

Indrid Cold

I don't think BaseCamp works directly with serial gps interfaces.

Boyd

That is correct. In Garmin's support forum the software developers have confirmed that Basecamp doesn't support the older units with serial interfaces. You will need to use Mapsource instead.

Mapsource has been discontinued. But before it was, compatibility issues with Win 7/64 were resolved. Or so it has been reported. At this point, "it is what it is". Not sure about the install issues. Have you tried to use it yet? Works fine for me on Vista 64 and Win 7/32.

Garmin has a support forum here. Even though development has ceased, the developers often answer questions when users have problems: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

maps4gps

I have not observed an issue with MapSource on my Windows 7/64 bit.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on June 11, 2012, 03:21:49 AM
I have not observed an issue with MapSource on my Windows 7/64 bit.
The latest version of MapSource works fine with Win7-64, but versions lower than 6.16.3 and higher than 6.13.7 could crash with alarming regularity.