GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Stitching State Maps Together

Started by Ogre, June 05, 2012, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

I am going to hike on the border between 2 states AZ and NM. Is there a way to stitch the 2 together so to speak so that both show up in mapsource?

BTW I am blown away by the site and all that has been done here, really amazing.

Thank you

Seldom

Fraid not.  MapSource and BaseCamp will only show one map at a time.  If you load both maps on your GPSr, you'll probably need to switch maps as you move from AZ to NM, but I believe those maps have a small degree of overlap.  If you are mostly on the border, and north of  34 north latitude this should cover both sides of the border, but it only extends to 108 west longitude.

Ogre

Hi Seldom

Thanks for the reply.

I was more thinking along the lines of bypassing the programs limitation and installing both states as one, is that possible, and not rediculously difficult?

Or taking that idea one more step is it possible to design an installer that can stitch all of a persons states maps together?

In regard to loading both maps on the GPSr that would be of benifit too. However, since the programs both erase the GPSr memory when sending maps, how does one get both maps on the GPSr?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Ogre on June 06, 2012, 09:51:40 PM
I was more thinking along the lines of bypassing the programs limitation and installing both states as one, is that possible, and not rediculously difficult?

Or taking that idea one more step is it possible to design an installer that can stitch all of a persons states maps together?
Not an option unless you plan to start from scratch as the state maps overlap at the borders. You can look at John M's maps that were made that way or build your own.

maps4gps

How you place more than one mapset on your GPSr depends on what GPSr you have.
MapSource and BaseCamp send the data to the GPSr as a gmapsupp.img file replacing any file by that name already on the GPSr.

Since you mentioned using GPSr memory, I will take it you have an older unit, so see the tutorial:http://gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Note step 8 for repeating steps 2 - 7. 

Boyd

If having seamless maps is a top priority, you might look at Garmin's 100k and 24k products...