GPSFileDepot.com

Problem uploading an opensource map to an oregon GPS using a mac

Started by pp, June 03, 2012, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

pp

Both - but the Base camp/mapsource installer only seems to be formatted to work in a PC.  I put the gmapsupp.IMG file onto an SD card.  It does not show up on the oregon - but I am not in switzerland so I suppose that's not a surprise.  I just cant find a way to get the map to appear in basecamp

THANKS for your input

PP

Boyd

If you can install the map on a Windows PC first, you can use Garmin Mapconverter to convert it to a Macintosh Basecamp compatible map and save it on a USB drive: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3898

Javawa mapconverter is another way to do this: http://www.javawa.nl/mapconverter_en.html

Indrid Cold

Quote from: pp on June 06, 2012, 12:17:02 PM
Both - but the Base camp/mapsource installer only seems to be formatted to work in a PC.  I put the gmapsupp.IMG file onto an SD card.  It does not show up on the oregon - but I am not in switzerland so I suppose that's not a surprise.  I just cant find a way to get the map to appear in basecamp

THANKS for your input

PP
You need to use Garmin MapConvertor on a PC  then to make a Macintosh installer. Their forum for support is: forum

A gmapsupp.img should show on the gps even if you are not in that area. You should contact them on their forum and maybe they will provide you with a Mavintosh installer and save you the hassle.

Boyd

Actually Javawa map converter runs natively on the Mac. However, you would need access to all the PC files. But this  is still pretty cool because, for example, an owner of the older Windows-only Garmin US Topo CD's can now install them on his Mac without using a PC at all.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on June 06, 2012, 03:56:28 PMHowever, you would need access to all the PC files.
Had the map author done the conversion, then every Mac user wouldn't have to go through this themselves. Rather poor logistics.

pp

curiouser and curiouser.  Kawawa converts the map and puts it into mapmanager.  It is visible in map installer (for the first time), and map installer tells me it is installing the map onto either an SD card or directly onto the oregon (I tried both).  The name of the map is visible on the oregon, but both the name of the map in map list and the map itself are is still invisible on Basecamp!!!

this is becoming a bit Kafksesque

Indrid Cold

Quote from: pp on June 07, 2012, 04:58:22 AM
this is becoming a bit Kafksesque
did you post on the map provider forum I posted the link to asking for them to provide a Mac installer that will benefit other Mac users or are you set in going it alone?

pp

SmugWimp

You can try running the site through google translate. It works 'reasonably' well considering...
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.