GPSFileDepot.com

What is it about micro SD that makes files unreadable by USB?

Started by feeB eldooN, April 18, 2009, 09:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feeB eldooN

On to my next project.

What is it about the files on a MicroSD card that makes them unreadable on the PC using an adapter and USB?

I have some Western US topo's (1:100,000) from Mapsource Topo's 2008 in a 2GB card, and would like to see if I can add some of the superb 1:24000 topo's to the card without losing what I have.  This PC doesn't have 2008 installed.

Do I have to bite the bullet, and dump the 100K, or get another microSD card for the 24K ?

-Oz-

Is this card a card made by garmin.  If it is then you can't just add to it.  On the other hand if you loaded the 100k topos on then you should be able to load the 100k and the 24k at the same time.  You can't add on though, you have to reload the both of them on the same card.

And I load all my maps via usb card readers.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

feeB eldooN

Quote from: -Oz- on April 18, 2009, 10:58:15 AM
Is this card a card made by garmin.  If it is then you can't just add to it.  On the other hand if you loaded the 100k topos on then you should be able to load the 100k and the 24k at the same time.  You can't add on though, you have to reload the both of them on the same card.

And I load all my maps via usb card readers.

SD card is NOT made by Garmin.  The 100k topos were loaded by another PC from TOPOS US 2008, but this PC doesn't have that.  I can read my phone's microSD with the adapter, but am unable to get this one recognized by the PC.  If I attempt any other loading, I'll lose the 100k topos.

-Oz-

That is correct you will lose the 100k topos.  You need to load the 100k topo at the same time as the 24k.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

feeB eldooN

Quote from: -Oz- on April 18, 2009, 12:02:23 PM
That is correct you will lose the 100k topos.  You need to load the 100k topo at the same time as the 24k.

Is there a registry change, or some other entry,  that I can use that would allow me to transfer the topos from the GPS to Mapsource on this PC?