GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problem with the Washington 24K Topo

Started by mhaseltine, May 27, 2012, 10:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaseltine

I installed the WA 24k topo maps and didn't see any contour lines, so I deleted it and reinstalled. Same problem. I had previously installed the Idaho topos, the one created by -Oz-, and I was following the same procedure with WA, so figure something was wrong. Oddly enough, after the second install of WA, the contours in ID no longer showed up, and disabling the WA topos didn't bring back the ID contours; however, removing the WA ones did bring back the ID ones. Any helpful hints welcome, but I'm going to try another version of the WA topo maps.

Boyd

Where did the contours disappear? In Mapsource? In Basecamp? On the GPS itself? If on the GPS, what model?

maps4gps

As Boyd posted, you need to more specific.
Be aware that that WA mapset is nearly 3 1/2 years old and that the map author has not
be active on gpsfiledepot since June 2009.

babj615

Northwest Topo from SwitchBacks.com is IMHO a far superior map anyways. Why not give it a try?

http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

mhaseltine

The problem was on the GPS, an Oregon 450. Thanks for the suggestion on the NW topos. I did try the the Washington Topos, and that worked, but if the NW is good, it'll mean more states covered.

Boyd

There is a bug on the Oregon and other new models that can cause contour lines to disappear. What profile are you using? If not recreational, then switch to recreational. If it is already set for recreational, switch to another profile, then switch back to the recreational profile.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 29, 2012, 07:49:10 AM
There is a bug on the Oregon and other new models that can cause contour lines to disappear. What profile are you using? If not recreational, then switch to recreational. If it is already set for recreational, switch to another profile, then switch back to the recreational profile.
Has the bug been fixed with a firmware update?

babj615

Quote from: Boyd on May 29, 2012, 07:49:10 AM

I am not experiencing this bug on my Oregon 450, running 5.60 firmware.

All of my Profiles are built from scratch, just the way I want them :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

I don't know the current status of that bug, but it began on the Oregon a number of years ago, and then appeared on other new models as they were released (according to user reports). Personally, I have never experienced it with any firmware version on either my Oregon or Montana. But we've seen plenty of threads where switching profiles cured the problem.

The curious thing is that there isn't any setting in the menus to turn off contour lines and I thought profiles were just a way to capture menu settings.

mhaseltine

I was already using the recreational profile. However, here's another data point. I installed the NW Topos, removing the WA and ID ones at the same time. I didn't see any contours, but in checking out a few things discovered that I had to disable my navigational maps to get the contours. That'll be a pain to switch on and off. I think I'll go back to the WA and ID topos that didn't have this problem.

Boyd

What is a "navigational map"? City Navigator? That will hide most topo maps if enabled at the same time. On your GPS, it is no problem to switch things on and off. Just create separate profiles for each of your common uses. That's what profiles are for - they are a way to remember all the menu choices you have made.

mhaseltine

Thanks for the tip about profiles. I didn't realize all the things they could do. Also that City Navigator (yes that's what I meant) hid contours. The thing you learn by asking questions!

Boyd

Maps are like layers in Photoshop, where the upper ones hide the lower ones. Each map is assigned a draw priority between 0-31 by the author. City Navigator has a priority of 30, so any other map with a priority of less than 30 will be hidden. A map with a priority of 31 will hide City Navigator, and this is often used for maps with no background, such as the NW Trails map you have.

Since the trail map has no background object, you can see City Navigator (or any other map) at the same time.

mhaseltine

Quote from: Boyd on May 29, 2012, 06:31:06 PM
Maps are like layers in Photoshop, where the upper ones hide the lower ones. Each map is assigned a draw priority between 0-31 by the author. City Navigator has a priority of 30, so any other map with a priority of less than 30 will be hidden. A map with a priority of 31 will hide City Navigator, and this is often used for maps with no background, such as the NW Trails map you have.

Since the trail map has no background object, you can see City Navigator (or any other map) at the same time.

This is confusing because the NW topos were *not* showing up if CN was enabled, implying it had a lower number than CN. To clarify, is the priority number the order in which the maps are drawn, starting with 0, and each map has the possibility of covering those drawn earlier?

Also to clarify, by a map with no background object, so you mean some non-transparent object, so for example the trails map only has lines that don't hide what's been drawn earlier?

Boyd

Yes, higher priority maps are drawn after lower priority maps. And the last map that is drawn will cover previously drawn maps.

Maps consist of three types of objects: points, lines and polygons. Within each map, the polygons also have a draw order that determines how they overlap. There's normally a background polygon that is drawn behind all the other objects on the map. If this polygon is missing, the map is "transparent", allowing another map to show through.

As for what's going on with the NW trails map, I have no idea - I have never used it. So perhaps I made a wrong assumption in my post above. But if you want to create a transparent map, you would normally not include a background polygon and would set the priority to 31.