GPSFileDepot.com

Garmin GPSMAP 62S and older version of Mapsource

Started by CassiaD, May 26, 2012, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CassiaD

I know nothing about GPS's, and a bit about computers, so I got a call from a friend who needed some help with general computer questions. When I got there, he presented me with his new Garmin GPSMap 62s and a set of MAPSource cds (Canada topo maps, 4 disks in all, version 2.0). I assumed the disks came with the device, so I set out to install the Mapsource software, I went through the installation process, loaded the map he wanted (BC and Alberta), then plugged in the GPS with the USB cable. Nothing happened, the Mapsource did not pick up the unit as being connected (On the Manual that came with the disks, it said to press File/ Save to => the device should have been listed there, but it was not), everytime the USB was connected the only thing that would happen is the Autoplay on windows would come on. I went on the Garmin website, downloaded a newer version of the mapsource program, but still nothing, it didn't recognize the GPS, I then updated the GPS driver, spent a good two hours (with my friend anxiously looking over my shoulder), nothing. He then tells me the Mapsource disks were bought years ago, but because he paid good money for them, he inquired at the store where he purchased the new GPS and was told they would be compatible with the 62s.
Since I was unable to help my friend, I've done a bit of research, and I've come to the realization that Mapsource has been discontinued, and maybe that is why it will not work with his unit? Would somebody please clarify this, also, very important, is it possible to load the maps from his old Mapsource disks into Basecamp, what is the process to do this,
I appreciate any help, thank you!

Boyd

Mapsource should work fine for sending maps to the 62s. It will not be full compatible with other things however. Specifically, it will not be able to receive data from the GPS (your tracks and waypoints). But it should work correctly to send things to it.

Sounds like there could be an issue with your opeating system connecting to the 62s. When you connect it, the 62s should appear as though it is an external disk drive and you should see an icon that represents it on your desktop. Does this happen?

Also, the method you have described for sending maps is not correct, you don't use File > Save To. So maybe that's your problem. See this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/