GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New firmware prevents overlays with City Navigator

Started by Boyd, May 22, 2012, 07:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Garmin just released new firmware for the Nuvi 3700 series today that has a rather radical change: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5063

Changes made from version 4.80 to 4.90:

Made a change so that Topo/Recreational and City Navigator Maps cannot be enabled at the same time.

I wonder if we will see this "feature" appear on other devices now? I am really puzzled... is it a response to people who complain they can't see their topo map because City Navigator is hiding it? Or has Garmin decided they don't want anyone "riding their coat tails" and using overlays?

I am not sure how they determine if another map is a "Topo/Recreational" one. And I don't intend to install this on my 3790 to find out either.

Wow.

babj615

Crud!

I just opened my new nuvi 3790LMT this evening and let it update itself :(

Where can I get older gcd for nuvi 37xx?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: babj615 on May 22, 2012, 10:55:33 PM
I just opened my new nuvi 3790LMT this evening and let it update itself
Well then, how about checking to see if you can use an overlay with CN before freaking out and crying chicken.

Boyd

It used to be possible, but I don't know if you can anymore. Garmin has removed the old versions from their servers. Since you have already installed it though, maybe you can find out what is considered a "Topo/Recreational" map.  :)

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 22, 2012, 07:11:14 PM
Made a change so that Topo/Recreational and City Navigator Maps cannot be enabled at the same time.

What's this mean?  How does it differentiate? Just Garmin Topos?  cgpsmapper transparent topos?

babj615

On a side note, I sure do not like this 3790 one little bit.... It is so much less user friendly than my Montana... As it is already, I don't think I will be using it.

Apparently, I can not drop all my favorite destination waypoints into the unit like I do my other hand held garmin units and select them from a menu in the nuvi to navigate to? If so, I haven't figured out how yet.

Bleh.

Boyd

I have no idea what you're talking about there. On the nuv series favorites=waypoints. If you put waypoints into a .gpx file and place that file in the GPX folder on the device, when it restarts all your waypoints will appear under Where To > Favorites. You could also use either Mapsource or Basecamp to send waypoints to the 3790 (which would have the same result - it will place a .gpx file on the device which will be imported).

I also can't agree with you that the Nuvi 3790 is less "user friendly". I think the Nuvi's are overly user-friendly, which I would define as meaning an average person with little or no GPS experience can pick one up and use it.

Now, I stopped using my 3790 after I got my Montana and am not likely to go back. However, it is because of the more powerful features on the Montana (which are LESS user-friendly IMO) and the style in which the map is displayed.

The one thing that still does impress me on the 3790 is the way it handles 3d however. The map is rendered in true 3d space and not "faux 3d" like other Garmin devices. I had a lot of fun making maps that take advantage of this myself and will probably revisit it someday.

babj615

Thank you Boyd for the quick response. I just started using the unit last night, dropped all my favorite waypoints in the nuvi\Garmin\GPX\ directory, but they did not show up under favorites after I restarted the unit.

I will 'play' with the unit some more this evening.

I suppose you are more correct in definition of 'user friendly' and 'non-user friendly'...

I find the Montana to be very straight forward and easy to use, but I am kinda twisted in the head.

I LOVE the Montana shortcuts feature, and will miss it sorely with the nuvi. Once I figure it out, I think I am just gonna give it to my better half ;-)

Boyd

Don't know why the favorites aren't working for you. I keep the same set of waypoints on both my 3790 and Montana with no issues. Just make sure you don't name the file Current.gpx since that is reserved by the system. Are you certain that your .gpx file really contained everything?

The newer versions of the 3790 (3490 and 3590) implement a much more simplistic version of shortcuts and dashboards. But coming from the Montana, you would not be impressed.  ;)

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 23, 2012, 10:07:40 AM
The one thing that still does impress me on the 3790 is the way it handles 3d however. The map is rendered in true 3d space and not "faux 3d" like other Garmin devices. I had a lot of fun making maps that take advantage of this myself and will probably revisit it someday.

Didn't know you could tell the difference between 3D and faux 3D in NJ.  Too flat.  ;)
Seriously, the image you attached is lovely, but I don't see any 3D relief at all.

Boyd

OF course not, it's a flat area. But that is 3d terrain, I am talking about how the unit draws the map in correct 3d perspective. All the objects on the map are properly scaled in 3d, even the bit mapped custom types. This might be a better illustration. Look at the road labels; I don't know any other Garmin device that can do this.

babj615

Quote from: Boyd on May 23, 2012, 10:53:26 AM
Don't know why the favorites aren't working for you. I keep the same set of waypoints on both my 3790 and Montana with no issues. Just make sure you don't name the file Current.gpx since that is reserved by the system. Are you certain that your .gpx file really contained everything?

The newer versions of the 3790 (3490 and 3590) implement a much more simplistic version of shortcuts and dashboards. But coming from the Montana, you would not be impressed.  ;)

Each of my waypoints are individual *.gpx files saved with names that remind me what they are. I would never use any of the common file names for *.gpx files the unit uses, such as .position.gpx and current.gpx , etc.

I'm gonna look at it all again 2nite and see what I missed ;-)

Boyd

Oh, are you saying that each waypoint is in its own file? Not sure if it will work if you try to import hundreds of .gpx files. Try putting them all in one .gpx file (use basecamp to export the full list). Or just drag them to the 3790 All Data folder in Basecamp.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 23, 2012, 01:48:55 PM
Look at the road labels; I don't know any other Garmin device that can do this.
That is impressive.