GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Removing map from Nuvi

Started by kevin9, May 01, 2009, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin9

Can someone tell me how to remove a map that I installed on my Garmin Nuvi (not the SD card)?  I don't know how to remove it from MapSource either.
Thanks

maps4gps

I am sure it you help someone to advise you if they knew which mapset you want to remove?

Boyd

If you don't know how to use mapsource, how did you install the map?

In almost all cases, maps which a user installs on the Nuvi will be named gmapsupp.img. Connect the Nuvi to your computer and open it up like a disk to view the files. Open the Garmin folder. You should see a file named gmapsupp.img. Just to play it safe, copy that file to a location on your computer in case you want it again later. Then delete the gmapsupp.img file from the Nuvi. DO NOT change any other files on the Nuvi!

If you really want some cheap insurance, before touching anything on the Nuvi, copy the entire contents to your computer. That way you will have a backup which can be restored later if needed. Most Nuvi's have USB 1.0, so it may take quite awhile to copy its contents to your computer (45 minutes?). It will also consume over 2GB of space on your disk, but it could save you a lot of trouble later on if there's a problem.