GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Confused By Etrex Tracklog Time Stamps

Started by Seldom, May 14, 2012, 07:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I live in Utah, Mountain Daylight Time. I went for a hike in Arizona, Mountain Standard Time. My Etrex 30 knew the difference and as soon as I crossed the border the Etrex clock lost an hour. My camera was set to Mountain Standard Time, so when in AZ the camera and the Etrex should have been in sync. However:

When I got back home to Mountain Daylight time I had to adjust the time offset for the Arizona photos 1 hour ahead (to Mountain Daylight Time) to get them to position correctly on the map.

On checking the track log I recorded in AZ it was all shown as Mountain Daylight.  Anybody know what determines the time zone used for the tracklog?  UTC+offset+Daylight and Arizona's peculiarities are ignored even though local time is correctly displayed?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on May 14, 2012, 07:41:32 PM
On checking the track log I recorded in AZ it was all shown as Mountain Daylight.  Anybody know what determines the time zone used for the tracklog?
If you view the raw tracklog with Notepadd++ or other text viewing software you will see that all timestamps are ZULU, so there's something in whatever sofeware you are viewing it with where the issue is.

Seldom

I see what you mean, Indrid.  I ended my log at 15:56 Mountain Daylight.  Offset is 7 hours from Greenwich. + 1 hour for Daylight.  Time stamp is 23:56 when viewed in NotePad++.  So I guess that means that the timestamps are interpreted by MapSource based on my CPU's clock settings, and the local time shown on the GPSr isn't used for anything except my info about when to get up in the morning.

Thanks.

LIHIKER

Seldom,

As Indrid Cold indicated time stamp is in UTC. The GPX's data standard is UTC for the time stamp, Lat / Long using WGS 84 Datum, and elevation is in meters.  You can find out  more here  ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_eXchange_Format