GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Descriptions in POI fields ?

Started by glendeni, May 14, 2012, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendeni

Did a search on POI, looked at all 6 pages but nothing useful so am posting here.

I'm creating POIs in a Garmin .img file using cgpsmapper.  When I display a POI in an Oregon, the POI lat/lon and elevation are displayed, but there is also much blank space.  I was wondering whether it is possible to include "description" text, separate from the label, which might be displayed there.  For example, if I put some text into cgpsmapper's "StreetDesc=" field would that appear there?

Also, anyone know where the elevation came from?  I certainly did not include it in the input to cgpsmapper.

Seldom

Where did you get the POI, and what software are you using to make the map? (I assume you aren't just making it with a text editor.)

I know that some maps I've made show wells as POI and the elevation is a blank field.  With an MP export in Global Mapper the blank elevation field is shown as 0 ft.  The way around it in GM is to delete the field with meaningless data.

glendeni

I am making the POI myself, using input to cgpsmapper ala
[POI]
Type=0x6409
Label=Apple Tree Camp
Endlevel=1
Data0=(36.37257,-121.79912)
[END]

Seldom

I'm afraid I can't think of anything except does your OR have a background map with elevation data?

Have you viewed the POI in something like GPSmapedit?  If you can't see the elevation there it must be coming from your GPSr.

Is Apple Tree Camp really a levee?

I've never used any more fields than a Label for POI. 

glendeni

>> Is Apple Tree Camp really a levee?

No, that's I use an obscure type which is not used elsewhere in the map for my POIs,  using a TYP file to provide the desired icon.

FWIW, since I was currently in the process of creating maps so had everything already setup, I did a test where I set "StreetDesc=" in an .mp file to some text and compiled with cgpsmapper (a full-feature version, not the free version)  - but when I display the POI information in my Oregon that extra text does not appear. 

Indrid Cold

Quote from: glendeni on May 15, 2012, 04:34:46 PM
I did a test where I set "StreetDesc=" in an .mp file to some text and compiled with cgpsmapper (a full-feature version, not the free version)  - but when I display the POI information in my Oregon that extra text does not appear.
I thought "StreetDesc=" was for street addresses.

glendeni

>> I thought "StreetDesc=" was for street addresses.

Yes.  But the question in my mind was whether that info might show up on the GPS screen where a POI's lat/lon & elevation info is displayed.  For the Oregon, the screen I am talking about appears when one moves the pin to a POI such that the POI name is displayed in a box which appears at the top, and one then taps on that box (don't know if that box has an official name!).  It seemed the only way to answer the question definitively was by actually testing.  But no joy.

To me it would seem logical for POI's to have a "description" field associated with them, just as GPX waypoints have a "<desc>" field associated with them and KML placenames have a "<description>" field - but I've never heard such a field mentioned.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: glendeni on May 15, 2012, 05:38:53 PM
>> I thought "StreetDesc=" was for street addresses.

Yes.  But the question in my mind was whether that info might show up on the GPS screen where a POI's lat/lon & elevation info is displayed.
levee doesn't have an "StreetDesc=" attribute. It is a Geographic POI.

Quote>> Is Apple Tree Camp really a levee?

No, that's I use an obscure type which is not used elsewhere in the map for my POIs,  using a TYP file to provide the desired icon.