GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSmap 62 Track keeps tracking

Started by lawestpar, May 14, 2012, 07:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawestpar

All has been well in my tracking and mapping until...... The tracking feature does not reset.  So the last time I turn it on after using a track it records/tracks from the point of my home or some other waypoint to the track I am trying to save.  I have recorded dozens of tracks with the accompanying elevation profile for MTB trials and road bike routes -- all with no issues.  I know I have toggled some menu switch or another button combination and I cannot seem to get it correct.  Kind of maddening after 25 miles of MTB trial and 35 of road over the weekend to be corrupted by the strainght line track from my home to the starting point, 85 miles away as the missile flies.  Any ideas?  I have been through the track manager, map setup, waypoints, record show/do not show on map.  Thanks for any ideas.  heck I went to Youtube and watched a bunch of Vids with little real information. HELP!!!

Seldom

Save the track at the end of your trip with the track manager.  Then Clear the current track when you at the start of your next trip.  The Clear button is below the bottom of the Track Manager screen, so you may need to scroll to see it.

Boyd

Personally, I always follow a simple procedure with tracks. At the end of each hike, I save the track if it's something that I want. Then I go to the track setup menu and turn tracking off. Finally, I go to the track manager and clear the current track. Now, the next time I go out, I just turn on tracking and I'm good to go with a clean slate.

lawestpar

Hmmmm.  Is there a distinction between save portion and save track?  I am thinking that I am "saving current track" and I should be saving a portion?    I have been fussing with this for the last two weeks.  I am doing something dumb.    I thought  I was saving current track, turning the tracking to do not record and clearing the current track. I am doing something, definitely pilot error.   Upsetting in that I cannot clear the unwanted leg from the track to save the data on the track.  Any ideas to save the wanted and discard/erase the data beofre the start?  I tried editing out the straight line with BaseMap. There may be some option I just did not find the combination. I will keep after it.  Thanks for the tips. 

lawestpar

........Or maybe I need to reset and clear the current track before starting thenext.  Odd though.  The tracks on two consecutive days all tiend to my home, not the previous day on the Friday track.  It maybe that I am not clearing the previous track and as a result the unit continues to "track."So I will  assure that I am clearing the current track. 

Boyd

There are two separate settings you need to look at. I don't have a 62, but suspect it will be similar to most other Garmins. First, there will be an item for "tracks" under your settings. This should give you the option to either record/display your track, to record without displaying, or not to record at all.

Then there will be the "track manager" which allows you to view tracks, clear them and save them. So really, you need to visit both of these menus. Use track setup to turn tracking OFF when you finish your hike or ride. This will prevent it from recording a path to your house.

AFTER you have turned off tracking, then you can save the current track and give it a name. After doing so, you would clear the current track - on my Montana, it will ask if I want to clear the current track after I save it.

But the main principle is that you should turn tracking off using the setting menu as soon as you complete whatever ride or hike you want to save. If you follow this procedure every time, the tracks you save will only contain the data that you want.

schweady

lawestpar: I seem to remember having trouble initially when I tried saving the entire current track. Lost a couple tracks that way somehow so now I always choose Save Portion. Even if there is only one portion, it's easy to just use that same portion for the start and end for your saved track. Anytime I turn it off it will start a new portion so if I go to another starting point and start out, even if I forget to save and clear, I can save the portions separately. If you still get that straight line from the end of one to the start of the other, it can be edited in BaseCamp, too.

lawestpar

If you still get that straight line from the end of one to the start of the other, it can be edited in BaseCamp, too.

I was playing in BaseCamp and failed to find the appropriate tool for the job.  Any assist?  Thanks!!!

Seldom

In the Tools drop down you can select an eraser and scissors.  Use the scissors to split sections of track and the eraser to eliminate the sections you don't want.  View>Toolbars>Edit will put these as handy buttons at the top of the screen.

schweady

To delete a point, I just dbl-click a track and move about in the resulting Track Properties Summary window to the offending point on the track and hit Delete. To reposition a point, choose the Selector (arrow) tool and drag an existing point. To insert a point, choose the Selector (arrow) tool and command-drag from a spot on the track to the new point's desired position.

This is on a Mac. Seems like it should be just as easy on a PC.

lawestpar

All is better in the world of tracking. All of the above post certainly helped. The resulting maps and trucks are really good thanks.