GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't see streets on eTrex 30

Started by nameless, May 11, 2012, 09:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameless

I have eTrex 30 and BaseCamp 3.3.2. I got the catopo11 map installed on the PC. I can see it nicely inside BaseCamp (elevation contours, roads, street numbers, everything).

When I go through "map install" process, it creates a .img file in Garmin folder on the device, and a new map appears in the list of available maps. I enable that map and disable everything else. I set zoom levels to "auto", text sizes to "medium", detail to "most", shaded relief to "show if available" (or to "do not show", does not seem to matter).

When the device is in the map mode, I can see a few different terrain types (parks are gray, golf courses are yellow), it shows all churches, etc., but I can't see streets or elevation contours. It looks like this:

I tried poking around in settings, deleting & re-uploading, etc., with no effect.

Is my device incapable of showing streets, or am I missing something?

nameless

Tried switching to day palette, no effect. Tried physically deleting the demo BirdsEye map, no effect. Checked a few different regions (from San Diego to Los Angeles), it looks the same everywhere. The GPS unit does display railroads (at all zoom levels), but not streets.

Tried to install the '08 California Topo map. That one is even weirder. Golf courses and churches are gone. As  far as I can tell, when it is loaded, the GPS unit displays only three types of objects: lakes, wells and power lines.

nameless

OK, the solution was really simple ... I had to hit "reset defaults" on map options. I still don't see what (if anything) got reset, but now I can see the map the way it was supposed to.

maps4gps

Glade the reset defaults fixed the issues. 

Your screen shot looks like a typical night mode display.   I think it best to have it set to day mode - the auto mode will switch day/night based on the time at your location rather than the lighting conditions.

Feature types not displaying is usually a profiles issue.  You probably want it in recreational.  Some have found that even if it appears to be there, switching to another profile and then back to recreation will correct a display issue.