GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie with questions

Started by Clyde, May 03, 2012, 09:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde

I'm using TypWiz, GPSMapEdit, MapSetToolkit, cGPSmapper and Basecamp to create transparent overlay maps on a Zumo 550 and a Nuvi 1300. and a 2010 Honda Goldwing Nav system which is also a Garmin.

These are some issues I have run into that I could use some explaination and/or help with.

Custom Roads/Polylines I have had little difficulty with. I have created 8 different types and used 0x1 thru 0x8, and they seem to work fine although they appear at 5 miles on the Zumo and 5 miles on the Nuvi, and 8 miles on the Honda. Map detail settings are at normal.

Custom POI/Points have been a major problem. My types are 0x1601 thru 0x1b16. Some are not being used. I've determined it's better to use 24x24 bit icons. They appear at 300 ft on the Zumo and stay displayed until I zoom back out over 300ft. They appear at 1 mile on the Honda and stay visible until I zoom back out over 8 miles. The Nuvi 1300 is a different story. The POI appear at 0.8 miles but some disappear and others appear as I zoom in and out. The icons are sometimes replaced by a small black square and often disappear completely as I zoom in closer.

I downloaded the same map from Basecamp to both the Zumo and Nuvi then copied the Nuvi's  gmapsupp file to the Honda's SD card. 

Something else I haven't figured out yet. I would like to remove all the labels created in the GPSMapEdit program but still allow the name/label to be display while the cursor is over it.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clyde

Seldom

I suspect the problem you are having with the points is that they are not drawn on Level 0. (See attached sample level settings).  The easiest way to do that is to zoom in on a problem point then, Edit>Select>By Type and select all points. Right click on the point you zoomed in on.  It should be magenta after the selection. From the right click popout select Modify>Extend All Elements Up To Level and set the level to 0.  Having set the level to 0, then select Modify again to extend elements up to the highest level you want them to show at.  If you are using a Dictionary, all objects should extend up to one below the highest level in the map.  The highest level must be blank.

Can't help you with your label problem.

You do have a copy of http://cgpsmapper.com/manual.htm don't you? 

Boyd

Quote from: Clyde on May 03, 2012, 09:01:12 AMSomething else I haven't figured out yet. I would like to remove all the labels created in the GPSMapEdit program but still allow the name/label to be display while the cursor is over it.

You shouldn't change anything in GPSMapEdit or cgpsmapper to get this effect. Instead, use TypWiz to create custom types for these objects and use invisible text for the label. Sorry, I don't remember the exact way to do this and I'm on my Mac right now, but it should be pretty obvious.

This will display an object with no label, but the name will appear when you "mouse over" it.

Clyde

Seldom,

Yes I drew them at level zero. But I proceeded thru your step anyway. Yes , I have a copy of the manual. Lots of good info but haven't quite figured out if it's related to the Nuvi or not.

Zoom Levels are (0)24, (1) 21, (2) 18, (3) 17, (4) 15, (5) 14
Level 5 is empty
Polys extended to level 3, poi to level 2 was 1 when I posted.

Boyd,

I believe the label is originating from the POI name in the gpx file I used. I have several of the same types but want to display the POI info in the label when I cursor over it not the type label.

Thanks for the suggestions

Boyd

I'm confused now. Are you using a separate POI file, or is the POI data part of the map? If it's part of the map, then what I described is the only way I know to get what you want (but someone else might know more  :D).

The type label is something completely different - it's the text that you can enter to be displayed for all objects of that type. You want a specific name for your point to be displayed when mousing over, like "Joes Bar and Grill" for an icon that shows a restaurant. This would be the object name, and as you say, it comes from the data in the file you used/ The type label would only say "restaurant".

Create a custom type for each kind of object that you want to behave this way, then assign that type to all of the objects. Use TypWiz to make the name invisible. This will do what you want. I have used this extensively myself for a new map I'm working on that displays elevations of shaded terrain polygons.

Invisible text is one of several options for object labels. You can also use large, small and colored text.

Seldom

Quote from: Clyde on May 03, 2012, 11:13:22 AM
Seldom,
Yes I drew them at level zero. But I proceeded thru your step anyway. Yes , I have a copy of the manual. Lots of good info but haven't quite figured out if it's related to the Nuvi or not.
So your points are still showing up incorrectly?

Regarding nuvis, I've never had problems with transparent maps except some funky rendering of my hatch pattern TYP for wooded areas.  Without the custom TYP rendering was nuvi, not as nice as on my handhelds, but useable.

If you ever get around to making a non-transparent map for your nuvi make sure you set it for DrawPriority 30 or 31.  DrawPriority needs to be set that high to override any built in DEM basemaps on the nuvi.

Boyd

Quote from: Seldom on May 03, 2012, 12:22:49 PMIf you ever get around to making a non-transparent map for your nuvi make sure you set it for DrawPriority 30 or 31.  DrawPriority needs to be set that high to override any built in DEM basemaps on the nuvi.

Personally I think this needs further investigation - we have discussed this on another site as you know :).

Personally I have never seen that issue on a nuvi using Garmin's own topo map (100k with no DEM), my own maps, and others from this site. If it happens, I think it would only happen at pretty high zoom levels (like 10 miles or more). The Nuvi basemap DEM really shouldn't show until you zoom out that far. I don't ever use topo maps zoomed out that far myself.

Clyde

Boyd,

I've been staying confused the past few weeks trying to absorb all this stuff.  :o

You want a specific name for your point to be displayed when mousing over, like "Joes Bar and Grill" for an icon that shows a restaurant. This would be the object name, and as you say, it comes from the data in the file you used/ The type label would only say "restaurant".

That is exactly what I wanted. I stand educated "Object Name"
Is this what you mean by Invisible Text?

Seldom,

Tried again and increased the extention level of Points to 2 and had basically the same results. I'm beginning to think it due to it being a low end Nuvi. I haven't used a draw priority because I understand it is only needed with Polygons which I am not using.

My main objective has been to colorcode motorcycling roads based on normal traffic, scenery, curves, and challenges, along with scenic byways and well known motorcycle roads. The POI I'm including are of interest to motorcyclists. Lodging, Dining, Roadside Attractions etc. Finding that I can add something valuable to Honda's Navigation System is a major plus. (Prior to 2012 you were unable to create more than 1 route and it had to be done at the motorcycle, yes that is correct, evryone complained about it)

Boyd

Back on my Windows box now. Yep, that's how you do it - use NoLabel in the extended labels field. In this example, the cursor is pointing to a polygon named "Avg Elev 224 Ft/ Avg Slope 5 Degrees". This only shows when you mouse over it. Without the custom type file, the screen would be a huge mess since ever tiny polygon has a name that corresponds to its elevation and slope.

BTW, one annoyance is that MapSource/Basecamp will capitalize the first letter of every word. So "AVG ELEV 224 FT" and "avg elev 224 ft" will all be converted to "Avg Evev 224 Ft". I haven't found a way around this. Maybe it comes from cgpsmapper actually, not sure.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 03, 2012, 02:01:09 PM
Personally I have never seen that issue on a nuvi using Garmin's own topo map (100k with no DEM), my own maps, and others from this site. If it happens, I think it would only happen at pretty high zoom levels (like 10 miles or more). The Nuvi basemap DEM really shouldn't show until you zoom out that far. I don't ever use topo maps zoomed out that far myself.

Boyd, if you check out this very short thread http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2856.0.html
both screenshots are at the same zoom level (about 6 miles east to west).  The issue may be specific to the 1490, but DrawPriority 30 fixed it.  Do you know the DrawPriority of the DEM basemap?

Also, in your DEM illustration, is that average slope data part of the DEM?

Clyde

Boyd,

Thanks so much, you have saved me a lot of trail and error with that answer. Now back to map making  ;D

Seldom

Quote from: Clyde on May 03, 2012, 02:09:54 PM
Tried again and increased the extention level of Points to 2 and had basically the same results. I'm beginning to think it due to it being a low end Nuvi. I haven't used a draw priority because I understand it is only needed with Polygons which I am not using.
Do the points work on either of your other GPSrs?  If they don't, it's not the nuvi.  Also, not to be picky, but drawOrder defines the order at which polygons draw.  DrawPriority defines which maps show on top of which other maps.

Clyde

Quote from: Seldom on May 03, 2012, 03:13:46 PM
Do the points work on either of your other GPSrs?  If they don't, it's not the nuvi.  Also, not to be picky, but drawOrder defines the order at which polygons draw.  DrawPriority defines which maps show on top of which other maps.

Yes the points work fine on the Zumo 550 and my Honda built in Nav System. Oh, please feel free to pick, I am still learning and it helps to use the proper terminology. You guys here on the forum have been a great help to me as I continue on my learning curve.

Seldom

Glad to know it's mostly working. 8)

Boyd

Quote from: Seldom on May 03, 2012, 02:54:50 PMDo you know the DrawPriority of the DEM basemap?

Just looking at my backup copy of the 3790 basemap in gmaptool. It shows a priority of 0 (zero). That shouldn't cover anything up. But the DEM will "bleed through" to another map. However this would normally only happen when you zoom way out. See this: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113310

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but to to be clear... does your map have a proper background polygon? If not, that could cause the problem you describe.

QuoteAlso, in your DEM illustration, is that average slope data part of the DEM?

In GlobalMapper I load DEM data along with my map, select all of the polygons, right-click and choose "calculate elevation/slope stats for the selected polygons". This adds a bunch of attributes to each polygon such as AVG_ELEV, MAX_ELEV, AVG_SLOPE and others. I then export as a shapefile and use relationships and string processing in FileMaker Pro to combine/reformat that data and place it into the name field of the polygons.

Sorry for getting so far off-topic there. :)