GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Looking for a way to batch "Add" files in GPSmapedit

Started by Seldom, May 02, 2012, 03:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I've got 60 "background" files containing all the non-routable (contours, hydro, BLM, etc.) data for my Desert Southwest map.
I've got 60 "road" files containing all the routable data. 

I'd like to open each background file and "add" a road file of the same name to it, without getting carpal tunnel, preferably while I sleep.  I guess I could do this with a GM script, but  I was wondering if there was an easier way?

SmugWimp

Try this, if you dare.

At http://www.smugwimp.com/sharedfiles/appender.zip I created a quickie Visual Basic Program that might work for you. Consider that it is written in VB6 and tested under WindowsXP. Very little (*NO*) error checking has been implemented, so make sure everything is right before you hit the go button.

The download is only the executable. You'll need all the basic OCX's already installed. Most people already do.

Place the executable in it's own directory. Launch it.

In the left window, navigate to your background files.

In the right window, navigate to your road files.

Your 'new' file will be saved in the 'appender application directory' (the one you created to run the program in...) with the same name as either the background files, or the road files (your choice, of one or the other but nothing new)

It will read in the contents of the 'left' file and the 'right' file and write it to the new file in your 'appender application directory'.

Make sure that the files in the directories are in the order you want them written... Meaning, File 1 Left 'must' be meant to be with File 1 Right, just as File 60 Left must be meant to be with File 60 right.  Make sure they are all text files. No error checking means if you leave an executable or some other file laying around it may crash. I dunno.

That's all it really does. It doesn't alter your original files, it just reads them in and spits them out one after the other in new files.

Hope this helps. didn't take long to throw together since I do a lot of custom text based programs for my own issues...

Cheers!

-- Smug

** I also uploaded the whole 'installer' package. seems  silly to have a 1.5MB installer for a 30k file, but there ya go. Located at http://www.smugwimp.com/sharedfiles/appenderinstall.zip

In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

Seldom

Thanks, SmugWimp.  Tried it out.  Pretty handy! Thanks again.  ;) 

Now what I really need is a way to call commands from inside GPSmapedit like Remove Object Duplicates Generalize, and Modify, Set All Objects at Level x.

SmugWimp

I'm glad it was able to contribute. There's a few things I'd like to see in GPSMapEdit too.  If you're any good at Spanish, Manajador de Mapa is a pretty neat utility that can assist in finding Duplicate Objects.  I struggle through it (No Habla Espanol), but the results are worth it when it finally starts rolling... Make a few backups your first time ;)

You can find it at http://gpsyvmanejadordemapa.codeplex.com/releases/view/41522

Cheers!

-- Smug

Boyd

GlobalMapper has a very good script option for removing duplicates... no translation required.  ;D

Seldom

Indeed, GPSmapedit will also remove object duplicates.

SmugWimp

Had I known, I would have dug a bit deeper in GPSMapEdit. As it is, I'm digging now. Thanks for the heads up! :)