GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installing Maps-Mac

Started by BKSLDR7, May 01, 2012, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKSLDR7

Can one have more than one .img file on a microcard or GPSr(Nuvi 855)
with different names and still select maps from either?

Boyd

Newer model Nuvi's (starting with the 1200/1300/1400 series) have flexible map file names such that [anything].img will be recognized as a map. But your model can't do that. You can have one file named gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder in internal memory, and a second gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder on a card.

There are a few other special names that work on some Nuvi's, not sure about your model but you could try renaming gmapsupp.img to the following after sending the map and see if it works.

gmapoem.img
gmapsupp1.img
gmapsupp2.img

If these don't work, you can send multiple maps by choosing sections for all of them and sending in one bundle using MapInstall. On the Nuvi, they should appear as separate maps.

Actually , the newest version of MapInstall is supposed to automatically detect whether your device recognizes multiple names (garmin calls these "nMap devices") and will use them if possible. Only problem is that the software is buggy.

BKSLDR7

Thanks for the info. 

How do I tell on the Nuvi 855 what the .img set contains? I have a microcard with a gmapsupp.img file on it that contains California, Oregon, Yosemite, Nevada.  I know this because I built it in mapinstall.  But on the Nuvi I see two entries for some of the topo maps which I assume means that the Nuvi gmapsupp.img file must hold the City Navigator North America set as well as the topo sets that appear twice(one copy on the card and one on the Nuvi?).

Also, what do the numbers in [] in red under the maps in the map info list mean and the comments after that in black, eg. "none" or "yosemite to" ?

I also notice that the California topo from this site usually shows even if the City Navigator North America map is also selected but the Oregon topo does not seem to show unless one unchecks the City Navigator map.  As far as I know none of the topo maps that I have from this site are transparent.  Can someone explain how this works?

Boyd

The map name and those numbers that are displayed on the GPS come from data inside the file, so it may not be intuitive. I have found that the Nuvi will sometimes group more than one map together such that they can't be individually enabled/disabled however. I don't know that there's anything you can do about this.

City Navigator is in the file named gmapprom.img and has nothing to do with gmapsupp.img.

Maps have a "draw priority" assigned by the author in the range 0-31 such that higher values cover up lower values. City Navigator has a priority of 30. If a topo map is created with a priority of 31, it will cover up City Navigator. Authors also use this feature to create maps without a background (transparent maps) and they assign a priority of 31. This allows the map features to be displayed on the City Navigator (or other) map. But typically, topo maps have priorities less than 30 and therefore City Navigator will hide them unless it is disabled.

BKSLDR7

Interesting!  How do I find out what the draw priority is of a map from this site to see
if that might be the answer?

Also, what happens if I enable two topo maps of say, California, at the same time.  I notice that
some have more info for a specific area than others.  For example, the Yosemite topo has more
topo features labelled for the Leavitt Meadow area on CA108 than the California topo for that area.
What happens if both are enabled for the same area and have the same draw priority but aren't transparent?

Why would there be two listings for the same map(though the red [] labels may differ) on the Nuvi with the card loaded?

I'm trying to determine how to select maps from the map info list when some maps appear more than once.  How do I tell what the entries contain if I can't remember what maps were selected when the set was constructed(for older GPSr that can't rename the .img files)?

Boyd

I don't think there is any software on the Mac that would show you draw priorities. Even if there were, that would get into a tricky area of discussing tools that can modify the work of another author, and this site frowns upon that. But if a map hides City Navigator, or if it is displayed overlaid on City Navigator, it must have a priority of 31. If it is hidden by City Navigator, the priority must be 29 or less.

Honestly, you've lost me with your other questions but I think a little experimentation will probably answer them. There are some tools that allow you to change the name of the map that is shown on the GPS, but again that appears to be a taboo subject around here.

Seldom

Default cgpsmapper DrawPriority is 25.  If it's not specified in the header, that's what you get.  Probably a good guess that most maps on this site are 25 (except Boyd's of course. ;D).

Boyd

Haha.  ;D I like making topo maps with a priority of 31. This allows you to invisibly use City Navigator for searching and routing with the results displayed on the topo. But it sounds like BKSLDR7 may have found another one. I remember reading about one of the CA maps that consisted of separate files for contours and other features. Maybe that's what he is using?

BKSLDR7

I've been using OZ's California topo http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/
and recently added  maps4gps's California topo 2011  http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/523/

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on May 02, 2012, 03:10:49 PM
Haha.  ;D I like making topo maps with a priority of 31. This allows you to invisibly use City Navigator for searching and routing with the results displayed on the topo.
Darn, and I had all my tiles set to 30 >:(.  31 it shall be!