GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Still confused about Image Hosting

Started by Seldom, April 27, 2012, 10:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I'd like to clean out my Image Hosting page here, but if I do that will the images also be deleted from the threads in which they are used?

Indrid Cold

If they were pointing to your image hosting page and you delete them then yes they will be gone. You can attach the images directly to your posts and then delete them from you image hosting and be fine.

Seldom

The "attach" part is what I'm missing.  I insert [ img ] url [ /img ] in my post.  Is that attached?  I was assuming it was linked to the url.

Indrid Cold

Open the Attachment and other options and attach your file, then you can use the img tag to point to that attachment if you want as such:

Indrid Cold

You see the attachment at the bottom of the previous post, also it has been inserted into the post via the url of the attachment with the img tag. That allows you to have the image appear within the text and several can be placed in any order between formatted text.

Seldom

Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 28, 2012, 08:28:56 AM
also it has been inserted into the post via the url of the attachment with the img tag. That allows you to have the image appear within the text and several can be placed in any order between formatted text.
So, if I want the image to be properly placed within the text of the post I must use the url link to the image host, and I can't attach it?  Or is there some way to attach the image using the img tag?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on April 28, 2012, 09:33:16 AM
Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 28, 2012, 08:28:56 AM
also it has been inserted into the post via the url of the attachment with the img tag. That allows you to have the image appear within the text and several can be placed in any order between formatted text.
So, if I want the image to be properly placed within the text of the post I must use the url link to the image host, and I can't attach it?  Or is there some way to attach the image using the img tag?
You don't attach anything with an img tag, you refer to it with an img tag. To attach it to your post, you have to attach it. Here I am going to refer to the attachment from an earlier post: and it can be within the formatted text at any point. If I delete the attachment from the earlier post, it's gone from both;(

Seldom

Figured it out. Attach image.  Insert image tag. Right-click copy link location from attached image.  Insert copied link location into image tag.

Thanks, Indrid.

Indrid Cold

-Oz-

Would you like a way to archive images so they're not in the list but aren't deleted?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Quote from: -Oz- on May 07, 2012, 08:16:00 AM
Would you like a way to archive images so they're not in the list but aren't deleted?
My idea was to reduce storage space on your server, and make it easier to find current images to link to (move them off the list?), but I guess if they're stored in the messages they'll take up as much space as they will in my image hosting file.

Boyd

Most people have free storage space on their ISP's server that they probably don't even know about. You might want to check with your provider and see how much webspace they provide with your account. That could be another alternative for image storage.

-Oz-

Compared to the maps the images are a pretty small chunk so I'm not that worried...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!