GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question about downloading mapsections from OSM

Started by larshgf, May 28, 2012, 04:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larshgf

Downloading maps from OSM in the JOSM have to be done in section - if not I will get an error message.
I want to download the OSM data for my greek island Samos and I do this via JOSM by choosing sections of the island - about 1/4 of the island each time.
In JOSM all the data seems to be there for the whole island.
I save this as Data.osm and afterwards convert this file to an IMG file. Then via MapsetToolkit I convert the IMG file to a file that I should be able to see in BaseCamp.
Bu what happens is that I am only able to see the last 1/4 of my island.
Does somebody know how to fix that? Is it not OK in JOSM to download an area in fractions and then expect the whole area to be in the saved data.osm file?

Best Regards
Lars

Seldom

You're probably better off asking that question here:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=26
But I'm curious why you would want to download a quarter of what I suspect is a fairly small island?
Are you compiling with mkgmap?
Also, make sure when you compile your quarters that you change the mapname (8 digits).  Assuming you want all 4 quarters to show in the same mapset be sure to set the FID (4 digits) the same for all IMG files.

larshgf

The reason why I (using JOSM) downloaded the small island in 4 peaces is that if I try to download the whole island I get an error message. I'm also a bit surprised!!

But I can download the whole island (in bits) and save it as one osm-file. And in fact I just solved my primary problem realizing that the osm file has to be processed by the "splitter" program before I process it with the "mkgmap" program. Apparently this has to be done if I want the whole island in my IMG-file

When I then afterwards use "MapsetToolkit" - to create amapfile which can be shown by "BaseCamp" - I see the whole island.

Another thing is the TYP file - and I have to fix that out. I wonder what kind of TYP file I have to use in "MapsetToolkit" in order to get the most detailed map for hiking?

BR Lars

maps4gps

You do not need to have a .typ file in MapSetToolKit.
You would use a type file to have one or more feature typse display differently than the
default Garmin display.   A second reason a .typ would be used is to display features which are not Garmin standard features.
I do not know if JOSM uses feature codes which are not Garmin standard.

Leave the typ file box blank.
If you notice missing data, JOSM likely has a .typ file available to be used with their data.

I encountered a similiar problem with non-OSM data, where the .imgfiles were different, but the .mp files used to create them all had the same 'internal ID number'.  Size-wise, they all went to the GPSr; however, the GPSr would only display one of them.

Seldom

An example TYP file for openfietsmap (an OSM based cycle map) is available at:
http://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap/news/13-08-2010
To download the zip file hit the "d" at the bottom right of the page.

larshgf

Thank you. Maybe I do not need a TYP file for my Garmin but I like the posibility to se my tracks in Garmin's BaseCamp program on my PC more "topographically" than is offered by default.
In fact the very best option for me would be the ability to see 3D-charts with elevationdata. But I guess that is not a possibilty right now?

Seldom

Unless some source like openfietsmap or opencyclemap provides you with a map of Samos with contours, you'll have to add them yourself, and AFAIK, no one has figured out a way to add 3D DEM data to maps compiled with mkgmap or cgpsmapper.

larshgf

Maybee there is another posibility to see a hiking route on a 3D map on the PC? I mean just a way to see your track in a 3D map on the computer?

Seldom

You could draw a track in BaseCamp, select it, and "View Selected Items in Google Earth."  In Google Earth, you could select "Street View", but that's pretty crude.