GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How do I display Basecamp on Vista HcX

Started by Fish Addict, April 22, 2012, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Addict

I have a Vista HcX and it has Mapsource on it.  I have BaseCamp but when I try to display it, it continues to show Mapsource on the unit.   I am still learning this unit and this is frustrating. :(

Seldom

MapSource and BaseCamp are just viewers.  Properly handled they could show the same maps.  See http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/ to learn how to change the map which is displayed on your GPSr.

Fish Addict

:)Thanks for that info.  I had already done that. 
I only have FLTOPO on my GPS.  I saw nothing that shows Mapsource or BaseCamp.
Since you say its only a viewer I guess I need not worry about what it says. 

I guess I should delete the mapsource from my computer so I am not confused further.
Is that a correct approach??? 

Thanks for reply and other info.

Seldom

Quote from: Fish Addict on April 23, 2012, 07:13:34 AM
I guess I should delete the mapsource from my computer so I am not confused further.
Unless you're tight for drive space, I'd keep them both.  They each have their advantages and disadvantages.
These tutorials may help the BaseCamp and MapSource.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

Boyd

Basecamp and Mapsource are programs that run on your computer. You cannot "have Mapsource" on your Vista Hcx. However, I think I understand what is confusing you. Does it say "Mapsource" underneath the zoom scale on the GPS screen , something like this?

0.3 mi
mapsource

That doesn't mean Mapsource is actually on the GPS. I think the idea was that this shows you're looking at a map that you sent to the GPS and not the built-in basemap. The older GPS'es like yours show this but newer models don't. You will see that when you send any map to your GPS, regardless of whether you used Basecamp or Mapsource to send the map. Basically, you should just ignore it.

There is no need to remove Mapsource from your computer. Try using both Basecamp and Mapsource and decide which one you like better. It will make no difference on the GPS regardless of which program you use to send maps.

Fish Addict

Thanks Boyd for your clear info.  That makes much more sense to me.  I have kept both tutorials and both files.   I was not aware that I had an OLDER unit since it was just purchased this year.  Garmin suggested it for my application and a few other kayakers have them here and love them.  We are going to have a group meeting (class) to pass along information and learn new techniques. 

STILL... Not sure how to change locations (launch points) so I don't have to go back home...  Has to be a way.

Boyd

FWIW - you are correct that the Vista HcX is still part of Garmin's lineup, and there are many happy owners. However it was released a number of years ago (2007 or 2008 maybe?). But aside from the high sensitivity chips, the feature set is the same as the original Vista which is a good 10 years old. Newer Garmin handhelds have some additional capabilities, like being able to download satellite imagery (BirdsEye) and the ability to use scanned or photographic material to make your own maps (raster imagery).

But the older eTrex units are still popular because of their good performance, long battery life and reasonable cost. I'm sure yours will serve you well. I don't understand what you mean by "change locations so I don't have to go back home". If you can explain, I'm sure one of us will be able to help.

Fish Addict

Thanks for your help Boyd.

I don't know if I can put this into words.  Here goes...
When I first got the unit and turned it on... IT marked my home as my LOCATION.  So now when I go to a launch site to launch my Kayak I press the MARK key and thought that would be my new location.  It is only a waypoint I learned.  If I try to use the TracBack feature. It tells me I am so many miles from HOME.  and the tracback then tries to send me back via breadcrumbs unlike my old GPS MAP76S.  That one was hard on batteries and had short backlight life.. 

SO my real question is ... How do I establish a NEW LOCATION without losing all my waypoints? BTW I do love this unit and I can usually figure out launch point once I have established a waypoint and have daylight.  But when on open water or in a maze of canals with mangroves on both sides it can be difficult. 

Thanks again for helping me ....