GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

California Topo 2011 - No map images found

Started by confucius37, April 17, 2012, 12:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

confucius37

I am having some trouble installing the catopo11 maps onto my Oregon 450. I was able to load the Arizona Topo map without problems.

I have a Mac. I open the gmapi file and install it using MapManager. Then I open Basecamp and I can see that the map is available and I can see it, however there is no topo detail at all on the map, no matter how far I zoom in. I checked around and there were no options regarding the basemap view. The Arizona Topo map shows up fine with lots of topo detail in BaseCamp.

I attempt to download the map into the Oregon 450 using MapInstall. I am able to select the tiles I want however when I click send I get an error message that says "No Map Images Found". I was able to download the Arizona Topo map onto the 450 with no problems and I can see all the detail on that map.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with the California Topo 2011 (Mac Version)?

confucius37

Can anyone confirm that they have loaded the California Topo 2011 map successfully on a Mac?

I am running all the latest versions of Garmin software and have updated my Oregon 450 Firmware to the latest (5.50). I am also running the latest Mac OS Snow Leopard (updated)

Boyd

I am downloading it now and will let you know. At 352MB, it might take ahwile on my slow DSL connection out here in the sticks though.  ;)

confucius37

Awesome! I really appreciate it, thank you!

Boyd

Well that wasn't too bad.  :)

Double-clicking the .tgz file opened the archive utility which extracted the .gmapi file. Double-clicking the .gmapi started MapManager, which installed the map. I opened Basecamp and - voila! - I was looking at the map. Zooming way in, I don't see any problems.... looks like a topo map of California to me. :)

I am running Basecamp 3.3.1 from the App Store under MacOSX 10.7.3 on a new 13" MacBook Air.

Have you tried to download again? Maybe something is corrupted in your file?

confucius37

Hmm thanks for the help. I did try to download again. My computer is in need of a reformat though, so I may take this as an excuse to clean out all the clutter I've accumulated over the past 4 years and see if that fixes the issue for me.

Thanks again, I will report back if I figure anything out.

Boyd

Sorry, I'm not sure what else might be wrong. I wouldn't think that "cleaning out all the clutter" would make a lot of difference though. Try this: start Garmin MapManager (in the Applications folder). Select catopo11 and click the "reveal in finder" button. Now click on catopo11.gmap in the window that opens in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

What do you see for Size? I get: 433,609,968 bytes (435.4 MB on disk). If you see something smaller, there must be a problem with your download.

confucius37

Hah! That was exactly it, somehow my unarchiving utility was not properly decompressing the file. I was getting files that were 153.1 MB in size.

I took the file and unarchived it on another computer and then transferred back to mine. Now its working just fine.

Thanks again for your help! Sometimes its the little things that you don't notice

Boyd

Glad it worked. But that's strange, I would have thought archive would have given you an error message. Maybe it was crashing?

confucius37

I tried 2 different unarchiving apps. It's possible that my original download of the compressed file was corrupted somehow. Either way it's good to know that it was a simple issue.

Now if only I could view 2 maps at once in Basecamp it would make route planning so much easier. It would be nice to be able to view the CA topo and the My Trails maps together.

Boyd

Unfortunately, that's just not possible. It's a feature that a number of people have requested, so maybe it will eventually be added to Basecamp?

Boyd

Here's another thought, since you mentioned "different unarchiving apps". I am using the standard MacOSX utility that is included on every Mac. To avoid this problem in the future, you might want to click on the .tgz file you downloaded and choose Get Info. What does it show under "open with"? If it isn't Archive Utility.app, then you can choose it from the dropdown menu. If you are running an older version of MacOSX, I think Archive Utility will be in Applications > Utitilities.

But under Lion you need to go to Macintosh HD > System > CoreServices to find it.

confucius37

Ya one of the ones I used was the standard Archiving Utility. I also have another app that I have used for some more obscure compressed file format that Archiving Utility did not support.

They both produced the same result. It is possible that it is a weird case with my computer because I have played with the file system a little bit as I used the computer to do some development work while I was completing a Masters in Electrical Engineering so I may have done something, which is why I want to reformat my computer and get it all back to square one

maps4gps

Thanks Boyd.

Not having a MAC, I can not be of much help with the MAC version of my mapsets.