News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to render osm data the best way?

Started by larshgf, May 07, 2012, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larshgf

Hi,

I made a file containing osm-data og a greek island. I want to know what is the best way to render these data to create a map? There are so many possibilities. Dont know waht to choose. I would like every detail in the data to be rendered to my map!

Best Regards
Lars Frederiksen

Seldom

If it's *.OSM you can compile it into a transparent vector map using mkgmap.  The transparent map will overlay your KMZ of the same area.  mkgmap will be a steep learing curve, however.  You'll need to create the IMG file, and a background map and TDB file, then install it with MapSetToolKit.  I'm pretty sure that MapSetToolKit only works for OSM maps if the TDB and background maps are compiled with mkgmap.

larshgf

What I need is just an ordinary map produced from osm-data downloaded from OpenStreetMap. Not necessarily a vector based map. So if anybody has a tutorial on how to render such a map or some advice regarding this subject I'll be happy!

Boyd

There isn't really an "ordinary" map. But you are probably thinking of a vector-based map. This means that it consists of lines, points and polygons that have coordinates associated with them. The other kind of maps are raster-based, which means they consist of images, possibly from satellites or scanned paper maps.

I have never worked with the OSM data myself, but I think Seldom has pointed you in the right direction.

Seldom

The method I describe above would permit both the raster and vector to show simultaneously and would zoom. The only other thing I can think of would be to make a screenshot of the OSM screen and georeference that as a second raster map.  Zoom would be lousy, and you'd only be able to see one map at a time.

Boyd

Of course, GlobalMapper will make OSM raster-based maps with just a couple mouseclicks by connecting to their WMS servers.

If you want to use a vector based (.img file) map along with one of Garmin's .kmz "custom maps", it shouldn't be necessary to use a transparent background. The default is for vector polylines and points to be drawn on top of the .kmz maps. So roads, elevation contours, streams and POI would show. But polygons are hidden, so the map background, lakes and parks would not show.

Awhile ago Garmin added a draw order control for custom maps that I believe will now provide more control over this, but I haven't made any .kmz maps for a long time so I haven't tried it.

Seldom

I was trying to avoid GM because I suspected it wasn't in the average user's budget.  :)  Of course that would make everything easier.  G-raster supports draw above or draw below vectors as I said in one of Lars' threads.  Interesting to know the map doesn't have to be transparent.