GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to change which map is displayed tutorial

Started by CDuck, April 10, 2012, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDuck

I read the tutorial.  The problem is that the map I loaded to the Garmin that I downloaded from here (NW Trails) does not appear in my list of maps when I go to "Map Information Select Map."
I uploaded it to my SD micro card in my Oregon 450, and I know it is there because MacInstall says it was done, and I can see it there when I connect to the computer (Garmin folder: gmapsupp.img  544.1mb).  What am I missing?

Seldom

Was NW Trails the last map you sent to the GPSr?  Did you send it individually, or with other maps?
If it wasn't the last, you may have overwritten it with the last gmapsupp.img.  BaseCamp writes a file called gmapsupp.img everytime you send a map.  Since the installer for NW Trails is only 32 MB it's not likely that NW Trails is taking up more than 40 MB on your GPSr.  So, if you sent it separately, rename the gmapsupp.img on your GPSr to Somethingthatmakesmoresensetoyou.IMG and send NW Trails again.  If you combined it with a few other maps in the 544.1MB gmapsupp.img. Try re-sending each mapset  separately, re-naming gmapsupp.img after you've sent it.

maps4gps

1. NW trails was NOT download from gpsfiledepot.  There is a link to the map here, but the mapset has to be downloaded from the author's website.

2. The map author's website says the file is 31.4 Mb, so I would expect it to be up to a few MBs larger on the GPSr.  A gmapsupp.img file of 544 Mb would be some other file sent to the GPSr.  Is the gmapsupp.img file date/time correct?  Did you combine the trail data with some other larger data set(s) before sending to the GPSr?

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on April 10, 2012, 04:01:22 PM
1. NW trails was NOT download from gpsfiledepot.  There is a link to the map here, but the mapset has to be downloaded from the author's website.
I figured since a link was posted here, and moun10bike is a member it would be OK to respond to the question.  Was I wrong?

maps4gps

We were concurrently responding.  Your response is better than mine.

Posters need to be more accurate on their facts.  Too many times responders are having to spend lots of uncessary time going the wrong direction because of inaccurate (or lack of) information provide by posters.

Seldom

I know what you mean about vague questions.  I figure its up to us to corral them.  Unless -Oz- can come up with a form to fill in that will always send us in the right direction.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 10, 2012, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: Seldom on April 10, 2012, 04:21:28 PM
Quote from: maps4gps on April 10, 2012, 04:01:22 PM
I figured since a link was posted here, and moun10bike is a member it would be OK to respond to the question.  Was I wrong?
Quote from the NW Trails map page here:

QuoteDiscussion related to this mapset can be found at the
Switchbacks.com Forum.

CDuck

Yes, I sent it by itself.  Anyway, I have now given up trying to get it to appear on the Garmin, because I learned that I can use the map with Basecamp on my computer and create waypoints for the trailheads I needed, and then send those waypoints to the Garmin.  More than one way to skin a cat!

-Oz-

Quote from: Seldom on April 10, 2012, 06:09:03 PM
I know what you mean about vague questions.  I figure its up to us to corral them.  Unless -Oz- can come up with a form to fill in that will always send us in the right direction.
Haha, I can't get get people to stop asking FAQ questions via the contact form.  I wonder if I could add a "what map are you referring too, URL please" box to the forum.

My other addition to this topic is to see if its under a different name. Sometimes the name it should be (logically) isn't the name it appears as because of how the map is/was compiled.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

CDuck

So, I read the other forum and apparently you have to have super zoom and max details in your map setup, or else the trails don't appear on the map.  That's probably part of my problem, plus I think I need to "disable" some other maps that take priority over it.  Does anybody here have a Mac computer who can get NW Trails map to appear on the Oregon Garmin screen?  What's the trick?