GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Thank you and quetions

Started by Clyde, April 04, 2012, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde

I would like to thank the admin/moderators for their efforts and making this forum and site available. I would like to thank the members for their input as well. It has been a wealth of information and learning to me. The links to programs and tutorials and the questions answered here have proved invaluable.

I am working on a hobby/project which is creating transparent overlay maps, tourguide files and custom poi for motorcyclists. I've progressed through a learning curve based on information collected throughout the web but this has been the best resource I have found.

I do have a couple questions though about draworder and zoom levels and categories of POI. I am only creating custom typ files containing polylines (roads) and custom poi. I would like the polylines to appear at any and all levels and wish to have the poi appear on top of the polylines at a certain zoom level and beyond. Can someone guide me as to the easiest way to accomplish   this ?  In other words how to edit my typ file draw order properly. Also what is the best approach for organizing POI categories and saving these categories? Just do it in Mapsource and Basecamp  or can they be saved in the typ file itself. I'm using TypWiz2

I'll also post this in Map Making Support dupe thread removed

Thanks again

Clyde

Boyd

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do in a .typ file to influence the draw order of points or polyline features. Draw order is only available for polygons. Points and polylines are always drawn on top of polygons, but the order in which one polyline overlaps another seems to be "hardwired" into the each line type.

Clyde

Thanks Boyd, I thought I may be missing something. I guess not.

Seldom

But you can control the view level of POINT types in GPSmapedit.  If you are already making transparent maps, why not include the POI in the maps?  Select all your gas stations and extend them up to level 2. That way if you have a 5 level map, and roads extend up to level 3, gas stations will only show at zoom levels 0,1,and 2. So roads will be visible one level above gas stations.

Clyde

Thanks Seldom, I knew I had accomplished it somewhere in my testing but was thinking draw order was involved somehow. I've been toying with many programs trying to find the best and easiest ones to complete what I'm trying to do. I'm covered up with tutorials and manuals LOL. Matter of fact I used the tutorial by Bob Titzer and one from GPSSledMaps as my guides for the transparent overlays. Sure enough setting levels was what I was really inquiring about.

Seldom