GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp and RoadTrip on Montana map questions

Started by pschoggens, April 02, 2012, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pschoggens

Hi, I recently bought a Montana 650 and seems either file transfer has gotten very difficult since using my Quest or I have became very stupid.  I have loaded both BaseCamp and RoadTrip on my MAC and attempting to put what I see on the computer screen onto the Montana 650.  All I seem to be able to transfer is waypoints, not the tracks or highlighted Rubicon trail that someone was nice enough to send me their .gpx and .gdp files of the trail.  I was stupid enough to purchase the birdseye from Garmin and can view it in BaseCamp with the highlighted trail / tracks on top which looks good, but when I went to transfer it to my Garmin, got an error for the unit id telling me to contact Garmin.  So I can live without birdseye, but it would tickle me pink to actually see the trail between waypoints on my new 600 dollar gps unit.  I have also downloaded OSM, routable open street maps which seem to work ok, but the trails are keeping me up at night.  Wide open for guidance, you can speak to me as if I were a 4yr old and I would still be grateful if it helps.
thanks
Powell

Indrid Cold

Please view the Sharing video for BaseCamp for Macintosh: LINK and see if that explains it for you.

Boyd

First, forget RoadTrip. It's ancient, slow and has been discontinued. Basecamp can easily do everything you want, and Birdseye will be fully compatible with your Montana. I'm not sure why you got that error message, but why not just do what it says and contact Garmin?

Birdseye imagery will only work on the device that you used when you registered. Go to your account at my.garmin.com and click on myMaps. Do you see a picture of your Montana? It should indicate that you have a Birdseye satellite imagery subsciption there and should show your unit ID.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: pschoggens on April 02, 2012, 10:26:15 PM
I was stupid enough to purchase the birdseye from Garmin and can view it in BaseCamp with the highlighted trail / tracks on top which looks good, but when I went to transfer it to my Garmin, got an error for the unit id telling me to contact Garmin.  So I can live without birdseye, but it would tickle me pink to actually see the trail between waypoints on my new 600 dollar gps unit.
Once you purchase a BirdsEye subscription, you have to activate it before using it with your GPS. You didn't mention activating your subscription to your Montana so that would be my guess there.

pschoggens

Thanks Boyd,

Spoke to Garmin in my drive to work and they were stumped, but did give me direction turning on the tracks and suggested I try it again.  I think it is working as it is loading as I write this.  Did  something kinda weird when choosing the quality, the highest quality download would be 6.85MB and the high quality was 98 MB, so I chose the larger file set to download.  I want to see the raccoons looking back at me. ;D

the reason I downloaded roadTrip is because OSM open street maps, a free route-able worldwide map set needs it to run on my Garmin and now I have maps of Mexico.  Would be great if it worked with Basecamp.  The last issue I was having is being able to see the roads I see while on my MAC in BaseCamp, but not on my GPS after a download.  I have played with turning off an on all the maps in the map tab.  I will follow up once birds eye is loaded and I check it out tommorrow.

thanks for all the replies

Powell

maps4gps

If it is a vector mapset (vs Birdseye imagery), all the data would be sent to the GPSr.
The usual reason for not seeing features on the GPSr is not zooming-in enough.

Boyd

Are you sure that OSM doesn't work on Basecamp? That would surprise me. As I said, Roadtrip is old, slow and buggy. In my own experience, there's nothing that Roadtrip does which can't be done better in Basecamp. Roadtrip definitely won't be compatible with sending waypoints and tracks from your Montana to your computer. Garmin changed their system for doing this after Roadtrip was discontinued.

Have you visited Garmin's Basecamp support forum? Lots of good info there, and the software developers themselves help users resolve issues: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Seldom

Quote from: pschoggens on April 03, 2012, 10:35:08 PM
OSM open street maps, a free route-able worldwide map set needs it to run on my Garmin and now I have maps of Mexico.  Would be great if it worked with Basecamp. 
Are you downloading from garmin.openstreetmap.nl?  The site is down at the moment, but does it provide a Mac installer?  I've got a few OSM maps for PC from that site and they all work fine in BaseCamp.  Thing you have to watch for is not to try to install a gmapsupp.img to anything other than your GPSr.

pschoggens

Yes I think that is where I got the maps, but since it is down, hard to verify.  I am starting to warm up to the Montanna, birds eye...eeehh.  some of the tiles are green as if in the summer, but the Rubicon trail is covered in snow.  I opened Roadmap and saw OSM with TJ maps, closed it and opened BaseCamp and saw OSM as well.  I will follow your advice and uninstall RoadTrip.  Should I do a Reset on my Montana and reload?  My map choices are as follows:
enable-Worldwide DEM Basemap NR
enable-OSM world Routable(63240821), OSM World routable
disable-Digital Globe
disable-BridsEye Select EIRE
disable-BridsEye Select France
disable-BridsEye Select Kompass -Austria +East Alps
disable - USGS Quads GCNP demo

in base camp I can see all of the SouthWestern USA and Mexican Baja in OSM (this was the area I selected to download, using Denver CO as the NE corner of the selection) on the Montana I can see the Mexican Baja and maybe just San Diego County or
SoCal and I have to zoom out to 200mi to see the big US roads fill in.  Anything under 200 on the rest of the US map is a shaded relief map or general topo without lines.

When I opt to load maps to the Montana, I now check all the boxes except load mapinstaller.  I checked that box once and watched the candy stripe for about 30 minutes before pulling the plug.  I had updated the firmware on the Montana and got the warning to let the Montana restart on its own or risk damaging the unit, let it sit for about 2 hours and it never rebooted on its own, so I booted it and it has been working fine, except for my learning curve.

If you have read this far, I thank you for any help or direction you offer and look forward to your response.

Powell

Boyd

Are you in the US? The following are all different BirdsEye products - see http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/birdseye

disable-Digital Globe
disable-BridsEye Select EIRE
disable-BridsEye Select France
disable-BridsEye Select Kompass -Austria +East Alps
disable - USGS Quads GCNP demo

If you didn't purchase all of these, then they are demo's that were pre-loaded on the device. When I got my Montana, it only had the Digital Globe (satellite imagery) demo. Anyway, with the Montana connected to you Mac, double-click on its icon, then before doing anything else, create a new folder on you computer and drag all the files there so that you will have a backup. This could save your bacon later on if you make a mistake and delete something you shouldn't. Now look in the Garmin folder - there will be a Birdseye folder inside that. You can just drag any of the demo files you don't want to the trash and remove them.

The Worldwide DEM basemap NR is a low resolution map of the whole world that was provided by Garmin. It will have very little detail and only show major features like boundaries, large waterbodies and a few roads. Just leave that alone, but you will usually not want it enabled on the unit because it adds very little. What it will do is provide a crude map for areas where you haven't loaded detailed maps.

If the OSM map looks OK there is no need to reload it. I think you're probably good to go now. Enjoy the Montana, I love mine and a day never goes by that I don't use it.  :)

pschoggens

Thanks Boyd,

I will do as you said and yes I am in USA and I did not purchase those disabled maps.
There are some questions about loading files to the Montana.
Do I want to load everything to the SD card?  Garmin says I can run 32GB.
When you are loading to the GPSr, what is the mapinstaller check box for that in the dialog box with tracks, routes, waypoints?

Perhaps my pulling the plug after 30 minutes is why my OSM file is incomplete?
look forward to you response.

Powell

Seldom

QuoteThe server has generated four different configurations of your map:
* osm_routable_mapsource.exe = Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
* osm_routable_roadtrip.zip = Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
* osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
* osm_routable_tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

Just came across this here

pschoggens, is that why you loaded RoadTrip?

pschoggens

Hi Seldom,

Your day job must be Chief Detective  8)

That is exactly why I installed roadtrip as it appeared the only interface between my GPSr and OSM routable maps on a MAC. 

Are you familuar with the "send maps with Mapinstall when done" prompt in the send to Device dialog box?  What does it mean? :o

thanks
Powell

Seldom

Quote from: pschoggens on April 05, 2012, 06:40:26 PM
Your day job must be Chief Detective  8)
Not really, but I do follow the OSM forum because I use their routable compiler occasionally.
Are you familuar with the "send maps with Mapinstall when done" prompt in the send to Device dialog box?  What does it mean? :o]
Don't know how it works on a Mac, but Mapinstall for BaseCamp on a PC is a subprogram that lets you select map tiles to send to a GPSr or microSD card.

pschoggens

OK found the real reason I downloaded RoadTrip....About this website:

The goal of this website is to advance the OpenStreetMap project by providing free Garmin maps

This website generates four different configurations of your personal free Garmin map:

* Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
* Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
* Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
* A zip file just containing all the Garmin map tiles as selected on this website. This is useful for Linux users (e.g. Qlandkarte)

I am currently in Queue for a reload for the SW USA from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I will remove RoadTrip and save the file to my desktop if I cannot drag it onto the SD card in BootCamp.