GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

installing maps help needed

Started by catrox75, March 15, 2012, 11:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catrox75

I too have an etrex 20 and I cannot download your florida topo map to it. I have win7, I've downloaded MyTrails... Nothing. Whenever I go to 'files' on BaseCamp the topo doesn't show up.

Seldom

Quote from: catrox75 on March 15, 2012, 11:16:47 AM
Whenever I go to 'files' on BaseCamp the topo doesn't show up.
Files is the wrong place to look.  Read this:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

catrox75

I have a brand new etrex 20, I have Windows 7. I have downloaded MyTrails and the Florida topo map. I have been through a few of your tutorials and I keep hitting dead-ends. I can neither right nor left click anything approaching map installation on BaseCamp. The topo map doesn't even show up under "Views". What am I doing wrong?

Seldom

Did you run the installer?  How many steps did you get through the tutorial?

gregokat

I'm having the same problem. I have a Etrex Vista cx. After downloading and installing the Florida topo map,nothing, It does not show up in Mapsource. As this is the 1st map I've downloaded it should be easy to find, but there is no drop down menu at all in the top left corner of Mapsource. I reinstalled the map, with no luck.

Seldom

Quote from: gregokat on March 17, 2012, 04:10:45 PM
I'm having the same problem. I have a Etrex Vista cx. After downloading and installing the Florida topo map,nothing, It does not show up in Mapsource. As this is the 1st map I've downloaded it should be easy to find, but there is no drop down menu at all in the top left corner of Mapsource. I reinstalled the map, with no luck.
What OS are you using?
In MapSource, from the top Menu selection try View>Show Toolbars>View .  The "View" toolbar has the map selection drop down.
If it doesn't show in the dropdown after you can display it, download a copy of My Trails,  www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/    .  Quit Mapsource uninstall Florida Topo.  Install My Trails, and re-install Florida Topo.

catrox75

I did run the installer- numerous times. I got as far as step 4 in the tutorial you cited; the map is neither in the dropdown nor the "View".

maps4gps

From OZ's change log for Florida topo: Version 1.60 (23 Oct 11)
• Created new Windows installer.  This map now requires versions of MapSource GREATER than 6.13.X.

'My trails ....' should not be needed as OZ changed back to a 32-bit installer.

Note the minimum version of MapSource needed.
MapSource only looks for mapsets when it is started; be suree MS is closed when you run Florida topo.exe
If only one mapset is installed, there will not be a drop down menu showing mapsets installed.
Zoom in to a mile or so - be sure you are centered over a land area (use the coordinates of the pointer).

Seldom

What version of MapSource are you using?
How many maps do you have loaded?
Do you have BaseCamp?
Might be worth downloading it to see if you can see the map there.

catrox75

I have BaseCamp. What's the difference between it and MapSource? I have downloaded only one map. The Florida topo.

Seldom

QuoteI have downloaded only one map. The Florida topo.

Reply re. MapSource was to gregokat.  MapSource is an older application that doesn't support all the features of the newer generation Garmins.  But it's got a few features they haven't included in BaseCamp yet.

I suggest you install My Trails (You said you had it above.)  My Trails doesn't look like much until you zoom in to about 5 miles.  Zoom in on a dot to that level and you should see trails.  Then see if FL topo shows up.

Boyd

Quote from: catrox75 on March 19, 2012, 08:27:25 PM
I have BaseCamp. What's the difference between it and MapSource?

You will find that Mapsource isn't full compatible with your eTrex 20. You will be able to send  waypoints, tracks and routes to the GPS using Mapsource, but you will not be able to receive them from the GPS with Mapsource. This is because your GPS stores these things differently from older Garmin units. Mapsource has been discontinued, so it will never be able to do these things.

If you just want to send maps to your GPS, Mapsource will work fine for that.

catrox75

I've tried zooming in as far as it will go, and still nothing...

Seldom

Quote from: catrox75 on March 21, 2012, 05:58:58 PM
I've tried zooming in as far as it will go, and still nothing...
So you can see and select either FL Topo or My Trails?  You don't say which, or if either.  If you can see dots on My Trails, zoom in on the dots.  You can see the dots from 700 mile zoom level.

catrox75

I just tried on My Trails, zoomed in to 80ft; still nothing.