GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Alpine Loop Trail map problem

Started by Bud Kerr, March 25, 2012, 07:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kerr

I downloaded the Alpine Loop Trails, CO Map.  When I open this map in Basecamp all I get is acreen with what appears to be tracks and waypoints.  There is no reference to anything.  I an assuming it is a transparent map that overlays some other map.  Am I right?  If so how do I get it to overlay in Basecamp?  I'm way out of my league here.

maps4gps

Garmin only allows BaseCamp and MapSource to open one mapset at a time.
Overlay/transparent map data will display on the GPSr along with a 'base' map.

eaparks

My Alpine Loop Map is not an EZ-Install Map.  I created it before EZ-Install maps were being used here on GPSFileDepot and I have never taken the time to go back and make it an EZ-Install. 

Bud Kerr, I will try to make it an EZ-Install map in the next few days if you want to download it again after you see it checked as being EZ-Install.  Then it should appear in Mapsource and Basecamp as you are a custom to and yes, it is a transparent map that you can use as a stand alone map or use it as an overlay with City Navigator,  Garmin Topos, or someone else's custom topo map or with a .kmz Garmin Custom Map.

Bud Kerr

Wow! Thanks a lot.  I see a lot of great info there and it will be great.  Again, Thanks,
Bud

Bud Kerr

Is there some way to have tha Alpine overlay map show up on the computer so I can establish routes?  Perhaps on the Colorado topo?  Should I be using sa program other than Basecamp?

Seldom

Quote from: Bud Kerr on March 26, 2012, 06:49:31 AM
Is there some way to have tha Alpine overlay map show up on the computer so I can establish routes?  Perhaps on the Colorado topo?  Should I be using sa program other than Basecamp?

If there's a way to do that, nobody here's discussed it.  From what you say above you have got it installed in BaseCamp and can see the trails and points.  If not this might help:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

eaparks

Bud Kerr, When you opened the map in Basecamp are you seeing the trails displayed in color, some green, dark green, blue, red, or yellow or are you seeing all of the trail the same color?  The reason I ask, is since what you downloaded was not an EZ Install I don't think you would have gotten the corresponding custom .typ file for the map.  You definitely want the trails color coded by difficulty that I did with the .typ file.  Just give me a chance to make it an EZ Install and you will like it much better.

The simpliest way for you to mark the route that you want to ride in a day or over several days would be to display the Alpine Loop map in Mapsource or Basecamp and create a track for each day's ride, or break it down into what ever size tracks you want, by tracing the Alpine Loop Map trails on your PC... creating a track and then transfer the newly created saved track to your GPS.  You can display the track what ever color you want and follow just that track during that day's ride.

eaparks

redid map making it an EZ Install.