GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

need some help with Venture HC & no SD card

Started by Crispy, March 15, 2012, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Newbie here. Did some searching but need to know.. Is it correct that my Venture HC with no SD card does not have the capacity to load NY Topo. The manual says 24M max... I think. I saw the NY topo was 131M. So am I getting this right?  Thanks for your patience, C.

Indrid Cold

Not the complete map, you load just what you need.

Crispy

So if I want contours, do I dump the road map that's in there and replace it with contours or do I just add contours to what's in there now?  Thanks, C.

maps4gps

A topo map includes contours.  A map without contours is refered to as a planimetric map.
The contour overlay mapset only has contours (to be used to display with a planimetric map like City Navigator, etc.

Crispy

OK, so I've done some more research and I now know the Venture has limited storage space (glad it was a gift to me). It looks like I will be choosing what topo section I want (haven't looked at the software yet) and watching closely how much memory I use.
Still have the other question: Will I be getting rid of what is in the Venture now? Does it use what is in there now and the topo is placed on top of it?  Put another way, does the 24M max count what is in there now?  Thanks again, C.

Boyd

Connect the unit to your computer, or put the card in a card reader if you have one. You should see a Garmin folder with a file named gmapsupp.img inside. That is the map file; your device will only recognize one map file and it must be named gmapsupp.img.

Everytime you send a map (or portion of a map) to the card with either Mapsource or Basecamp,  a new gmapsupp.img file is created, and therefore any existing map will be replaced. If you want to have more than one map available on the GPS, you need to choose portions of all the maps you want in Mapsource (use the drop down menu to choose each map), then send all of them at the same time.

In the pane on the left of your screen, you will see all the individual tiles that will be included in the file as you choose them. You will also see the total size file that will be created, so the trick is to keep this number smaller than 24MB.

There are no standards for the size of map tiles (in terms of area or bytes), it is completely up to the author. So it's not possible to generalize on how large a map will fit into 24MB.

Crispy

I appreciate all the help but I'm getting nowhere.  I have a Mac and have tried to download Mapinstall followed by the NY topo. I have loaded Basecamp and it has imported NY topo. I have my gps connected. I loaded Mapinstall. I get a full screen picture of North America and a prompt that I will be guided through the map installation process but nothing happens.  Could you just give me the proper order of events.  Thanks, C.

Crispy

I got it!!!!!!  On Map Install, the "continue" at the bottom right of the page was covered over with the bottom tool bar (Mac).  I hit the green expand dot (like minimize on a PC) and there it was in all its glory. I was able to load more than I needed.  Thanks and I'll be sending a donation, C.