GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

etrex 30 recalculate route

Started by dutchbird, March 12, 2012, 02:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchbird

I am planning to buy a Garmin Etrex 30. I have one question.
When I load a route on my Garmin and when hiking I take another direction will the Etrex recalculate the route?

maps4gps

Only if the mapset has routable transportation data; few on this site do.

dutchbird

OK it will work with the city navigator maps though?

maps4gps

Correct, CN is a routable mapset.

Seldom

But  I doubt you'll find many routable hiking trails in City Navigator.  For routable hiking trails and topo try the Garmin 24k maps for your area. 

For free routable road and trail maps try http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/   .  OSM trails show in BaseCamp at zooms of 500 feet and lower.  Unfortunately those maps have no topo.

AFAIK, I'm the only person who does routable maps on this site.  This one has trail data and topo and covers most of the US desert National Parks.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/518/

Isabella8688

Quote from: dutchbird on March 12, 2012, 02:37:35 AM
I am planning to buy a Garmin Etrex 30. I have one question.
When I load a route on my Garmin and when hiking I take another direction will the Etrex recalculate the route?

I don't understand question

Seldom

Say the shortest route from Trailhead to Big Overlook is Rim Trail, but there's another trail called Creek Trail that's longer but will get you there.  You tell your GPSr to get you to Big Overlook.  It takes the shortest route on Rim Trail.  But you decide to follow Creek Trail instead.  If the map is routable, the GPSr will nag you to turn around until the distance from your point on Creek Trail to Big Overlook is shorter than your backtrack distance  to Rim Trail plus your travel distance on Rim Trail.  Once it's shorter to get to your destination via Creek Trail it will re-calculate the route and your GPSr will be able to show you your distance to your destination.