GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question for you map makers....historical POIs

Started by woodstramp, March 03, 2012, 03:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

In various GPS topo softwares I have used (Magellan, Delorme, Filedepot maps) I have seen historical POI data. 

I wondered if you guys might know the original source of this data.  (ironic...history of history data....)  :)  I assume that different map makers like you guys and companies like Magellan all draw from the same original pool, seeing how I find the same points, in different map files.   I'm assuming USGS, but don't know this for fact.

Seldom

GNIS (USGS?) POI often contain a "historical" attribute.  But sometimes this is bogus.  There are a bunch of "Castles" in Bryce Canyon National Park that are labeled "historical" but they're actually rock formations.

woodstramp

Thanks, there, Seldom.

That is what I was thinking.  But, in this particular POI I actually found remnants of an old structure. It is listed as an 1850's era  forge. The little I could find on a Google search listed it as a Calatan bloomery.  Was quite tickled when we closed in.  The poi was only about 80 feet away from the actual foundation we found.   Was talking to a local.  He was aware of the structure, but did not know what it was. 

I called an area museum (that specializes in early iron works) to find more info on it and they'd never heard of it.  Found that odd. 

Boyd

My experience is that the GNIS data has a number of points that have "historical" in the name itself. For example, I'm working on a section of Maine now and here's a snip from the GNIS.

woodstramp

Yeah, Boyd, that is the way they show on the maps.  One other local one is labled "Conchardee (historical)".

Always been a history buff and I really like that these are listed. Conchardee, for instance.  I passed this place a million times on a school bus as a kid and never heard that name once.  Did some internet research and found out it was originally an indian villiage, then later a white folks community after indian removal. Now it is nothing but cow pasture. Same with the furnace I mentioned earlier.   I'm just glad these are listed at all.