News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nube ?

Started by dlw1146, February 29, 2012, 07:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlw1146

Hello, I'm Don, new here.
New to this GPS thing. Find it quite interesting. Recently purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend Hcx (installed a micro SD card also) for mapping logging roads and jeep trails near my place. Downloaded a Washington state topo map and Ibycus map to use on MapSource and BaseMap. Getting use to using them on my PC and laptop.

I created smaller maps of only my area for both maps and installed onto the Legend. But, can only find one (the topo map for example). Have to connect Legend to PC and upload the Ibycus map in order to use it.

What am I doing wrong or can there be two different maps on the Legend at the same time?

Thanks,
Don

maps4gps

Garmin's programs (MS and BC) send data to their GPSrs as a gmapsupp.img file.  If one
exists on the GPSr, it is overwritten. 

Garmin has so many units it is getting hard to keep them straight; however, for that unit I
think it only recognizes a gmapsupp.img file.

In MS, select quads/segments from one of the mapsets (they will appear in the window on the left); then open another mapset and select quads/segments (they will be added to the list); then send the combined data to the GPSr.
They will be in one gmapsupp.img file, however, each mapset can be enabled/disabled (hide/show) on the GPSr.

Which Ibycus?   Ibycus USA is a single data source with 2007 data.  It does not have contour lines and data from many of the other sources used by other map authors in their mapsets.

dlw1146

Ibycus USA, sorry.
I'll try your suggestion and post a reply later.
Thanks,
Don

babj615

In WA state, I highly recommend the NorthWest Topo from Switchbacks.com

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on February 29, 2012, 10:01:57 AM
In WA state, I highly recommend the NorthWest Topo from Switchbacks.com

IIRC that has really high quality trail data (hard to come by).

Indrid Cold

dlw1146

Okay.. I think.
Did as suggested and all seemed to work.
Headed out to the post office now and give it a try.
Thanks,
Don

dlw1146

Well, the Legend works well with the changes.
However, I have a big problem.
My new BU-353 does not work with Garmin nroute.

Boyd

See the solution I posted in your other thread.