GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloading Maps for Use on BaseCamp

Started by sheltie, February 22, 2012, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheltie

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a brand new user and don't understand that much about GPS.  I just bought an eTrex Legend HCx.

I tried to download a Texas Topo map from GPSFileDepot.com - twice - and it didn't work either time.  It never showed up on my BaseCamp.

Are these maps dependent upon which model GPS you have?  If so, where can I find downloads for my Legend HCx?  If not, what am I doing wrong?  When I downloaded the Texas Topo map, I followed all the instructions and it even told me that it had been downloaded successfully.

Help!  I'm stuck!  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Seldom

Assuming you have Win7 OS.

Read this if you haven't.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

If BaseCamp is working OK, and you have Win7-64, download and install:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/
It has some magical properties.

You Etrex and ALL Garmin's will load vector maps.  Only newer Garmin's will load raster maps.

If you have a Mac, you'll need to hang in there 'til a Mac Expert can reply.

sheltie

Thanks, I downloaded the tutorial from GPSDepot and still the Texas Topo map is nowhere to be found on BaseCamp.  I do have Win7 64 and I looked at the file you suggested.  You're right, it is pretty neat, but it offers a great deal more than I want at this point.  Any suggestions how to get BaseCamp to show me the map I supposedly downloaded?

Boyd

Quote from: sheltie on February 22, 2012, 10:18:03 AMI looked at the file you suggested.  You're right, it is pretty neat, but it offers a great deal more than I want at this point.

Seldom has given you the solution to your problem; you should have done exactly as he described. Install this map, the installer is written in a certain way such that it should correct the problem you're having with the Texas topo. : http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

sheltie

I was just getting ready to tell him that I HAD installed the map, following his advice.  Unfortunately still nothing in my BaseCamp.  All I get from the map dropdown is the 100K US map.  When I use View to look for the map, same result.  What now?

I'm wondering if I should reinstall the 100K US map?

Seldom

Quote from: Seldom on February 22, 2012, 10:05:24 AM

I should have been clearer.  It has some magical properties that will cure your problem.  Think jbensman=Gandalf.

Be sure that BaseCamp isn't running when you do the install.  Or try shutting BC down then re-starting it as it only looks for new mapsets at startup.  You may have to uninstall and re-install the mapsets.  The installer you downloaded is probably OK, so if you uninstall them, just re-use it.

Boyd

Above you said "it even told me that it had been downloaded successfully". You also need to run the installer after downloading - it's not clear whether you actually did this. Go to your Programs and Features control panel in Windows; do you see an entry for the Texas Topo? If it was correctly installed, it will be listed there as though it were a "program" on your computer.

sheltie

Yes, both it and the Trail program are there.  I've used the installer each time it came up and both said it was done successfully.

sheltie

Quote from: Seldom on February 22, 2012, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Seldom on February 22, 2012, 10:05:24 AM

I should have been clearer.  It has some magical properties that will cure your problem.  Think jbensman=Gandalf.

Be sure that BaseCamp isn't running when you do the install.  Or try shutting BC down then re-starting it as it only looks for new mapsets at startup.  You may have to uninstall and re-install the mapsets.  The installer you downloaded is probably OK, so if you uninstall them, just re-use it.

Sorry but you lost me on your first paragraph.

BaseCamp is NOT running, I double checked.  This is really getting frustrating.

Seldom

Quote from: sheltie on February 22, 2012, 10:55:41 AM

To the mapsets show up in the "Uninstall Programs" window of the control panel?

Boyd

The only other thing I can suggest would be uninstalling then reinstalling Basecamp. Others have reported that this fixed a similar problem, although I don't really understand why it should.

Before doing that, you might just re-boot your computer and check basecamp one last time to see if that makes a difference.

maps4gps

The 'my trails ...' mapset needs to be installed before installing the TX topo. 

If still not working: uninstall 'my trails ...', TXtopo and BaseCamp.
Then install BaseCamp.  With BC closed, install 'my trails ...', open BC and check for 'my trails ...'.  Close BC, then install TXtopo - then open BC - TXtopo should be there.

sheltie

Quote from: Seldom on February 22, 2012, 11:03:52 AM
Quote from: sheltie on February 22, 2012, 10:55:41 AM

To the mapsets show up in the "Uninstall Programs" window of the control panel?

Yes, and I just reinstalled the 100K US map with BaseCamp with the same old results.

sheltie

Quote from: Boyd on February 22, 2012, 11:06:46 AM
The only other thing I can suggest would be uninstalling then reinstalling Basecamp. Others have reported that this fixed a similar problem, although I don't really understand why it should.

Before doing that, you might just re-boot your computer and check basecamp one last time to see if that makes a difference.

I did, it didn't.

Seldom

Can you see ANYTHING in My Trails?  Above 7 miles, you should only see dots.  Zoom below 7 miles on a dot and trails show up.