News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloading Maps for Use on BaseCamp

Started by sheltie, February 22, 2012, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheltie

Quote from: Seldom on February 24, 2012, 07:49:56 AM
sheltie, could you post a screen grab of what you see when you click the arrow on the BaseCamp mapset dropdown?

I'd be happy to if you could tell me how to.  I'm not overly computer litterate.

What I get is two entries.  One says 100K US Topo and the other says no map.

sheltie

Ok, I downloaded and installed it.  It shows all three programs but the Repair function is not offered as an option (it is gray).

Seldom

Quote from: sheltie on February 24, 2012, 09:35:52 AM
Quote from: Seldom on February 24, 2012, 07:49:56 AM
sheltie, could you post a screen grab of what you see when you click the arrow on the BaseCamp mapset dropdown?

I'd be happy to if you could tell me how to.  I'm not overly computer litterate.

What I get is two entries.  One says 100K US Topo and the other says no map.

As long as you are seeing more than one item on the list it means the dropdown is functioning OK, so never mind the screen grab.

One other thing to try, if you have BaseCamp installed you can also install MapSource. 
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Might be worth seeing if the maps showed up in MS.  Also, my BaseCamp 3.3.1 doesn't show a No Map although my MapSource 6.16.3 does.  I don't recall your stating, but are you using BC 3.3.1?

sheltie

They sent me BC 2.0.3.

I'll try the MapSource link you sent.

Boyd

Wait awhile... who "sent you" Basecamp 2.03? That's an ancient version with lots of bugs. This thread so long I can't remember where we started. Did you say you were running Windows 7? If so, I think you are going to have a lot of problems with that old Basecamp software.

The new version is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

sheltie

Well, this is interesting.  I just installed MapSource and it DOES show all three mapsets on the dropdown.  However, as usual, there is still nothing on the BC.  Could it be that my version is already outdated since it appears to be an older version than the one listed a littler earlier?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: sheltie on February 24, 2012, 10:32:32 AM
They sent me BC 2.0.3.

I'll try the MapSource link you sent.
BaseCamp is now at v3.3.1, you need to update your software or all bets are off. No one supports BaseCamp v2.x.x except for PPC Macintosh systems.

Download link

-Oz-

Quote from: sheltie on February 24, 2012, 10:40:04 AM
Well, this is interesting.  I just installed MapSource and it DOES show all three mapsets on the dropdown.  However, as usual, there is still nothing on the BC.  Could it be that my version is already outdated since it appears to be an older version than the one listed a littler earlier?
Definitely update.  On top of all the crashing and bugs the old version didn't support custom maps.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

sheltie

Quote from: Boyd on February 24, 2012, 10:40:04 AM
Wait awhile... who "sent you" Basecamp 2.03? That's an ancient version with lots of bugs. This thread so long I can't remember where we started. Did you say you were running Windows 7? If so, I think you are going to have a lot of problems with that old Basecamp software.

The new version is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

sheltie

Quote from: Boyd on February 24, 2012, 10:40:04 AM

That's really interesting because I checked on the updates and it told me that mine was the latest version.  I got it bundled with the eTrex Legend HCx.  I'll go to the site you recommend and see if I can get it.

sheltie

BINGO!!!!! The 3.3.1 version update was the solution.  I can't figure out why Garmin would send an old version but I will let them know how unhappy I am that I paid extra for it. 

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Boyd

You know, it could have saved us all a lot of trouble if you mentioned what version of Basecamp you had.  ;)

I don't find it at all surprising that an old disk was provided with the Vista Hcx. That's a very old model and I'm sure the Basecamp version was contemporary back when it was packaged.

Garmin no longer provides Basecamp on disk at all, you need to download the latest version. I think that makes more sense because updates come along frequently. Really, with any product that includes a disk, you need to visit the company's website and check for updated software.

maps4gps

Interesting that TOPO100 was working with it.

Garmin probably mass produced the CDs with the software and expects the buyer to have web access and update to the latest version.  The manual which came on CD with my OR300 was 1 and 1/2 years old; the software on the OR300 was 2 versions out of date even though REI said they had just received the units from Garmin.

I would certainly let them know, and that the pay for help service they sent you to did no good.

sheltie

Quote from: Boyd on February 24, 2012, 02:46:41 PM
You know, it could have saved us all a lot of trouble if you mentioned what version of Basecamp you had.  ;)

I don't find it at all surprising that an old disk was provided with the Vista Hcx. That's a very old model and I'm sure the Basecamp version was contemporary back when it was packaged.

Garmin no longer provides Basecamp on disk at all, you need to download the latest version. I think that makes more sense because updates come along frequently. Really, with any product that includes a disk, you need to visit the company's website and check for updated software.

Had I even suspected that anyone would sell an OLD version of a program I could've figured it out for myself.  I disagree that a consumer should visit a manufacturor's web site to check for updates when they buy a product.  It is the manufacturor's RESPONSIBILITY to make any shortcomings or necessary updates known to a consumer.   

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 24, 2012, 02:46:41 PM

One more question to ask early on, along with What OS? and What Map?