Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: Downloading Maps for Use on BaseCamp  (Read 28214 times)

sheltie

• View Profile
Downloading Maps for Use on BaseCamp
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a brand new user and don't understand that much about GPS.  I just bought an eTrex Legend HCx.

I tried to download a Texas Topo map from GPSFileDepot.com - twice - and it didn't work either time.  It never showed up on my BaseCamp.

Are these maps dependent upon which model GPS you have?  If so, where can I find downloads for my Legend HCx?  If not, what am I doing wrong?  When I downloaded the Texas Topo map, I followed all the instructions and it even told me that it had been downloaded successfully.

Help!  I'm stuck!  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading Maps for Use on BaseCamp
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
Assuming you have Win7 OS.

Read this if you haven't.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

If BaseCamp is working OK, and you have Win7-64, download and install:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/
It has some magical properties.

You Etrex and ALL Garmin's will load vector maps.  Only newer Garmin's will load raster maps.

If you have a Mac, you'll need to hang in there 'til a Mac Expert can reply.

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »
Thanks, I downloaded the tutorial from GPSDepot and still the Texas Topo map is nowhere to be found on BaseCamp.  I do have Win7 64 and I looked at the file you suggested.  You're right, it is pretty neat, but it offers a great deal more than I want at this point.  Any suggestions how to get BaseCamp to show me the map I supposedly downloaded?

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »
I looked at the file you suggested.  You're right, it is pretty neat, but it offers a great deal more than I want at this point.

Seldom has given you the solution to your problem; you should have done exactly as he described. Install this map, the installer is written in a certain way such that it should correct the problem you're having with the Texas topo. : http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I was just getting ready to tell him that I HAD installed the map, following his advice.  Unfortunately still nothing in my BaseCamp.  All I get from the map dropdown is the 100K US map.  When I use View to look for the map, same result.  What now?

I'm wondering if I should reinstall the 100K US map?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:30:40 AM by sheltie »

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »

I should have been clearer.  It has some magical properties that will cure your problem.  Think jbensman=Gandalf.

Be sure that BaseCamp isn't running when you do the install.  Or try shutting BC down then re-starting it as it only looks for new mapsets at startup.  You may have to uninstall and re-install the mapsets.  The installer you downloaded is probably OK, so if you uninstall them, just re-use it.

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
Above you said "it even told me that it had been downloaded successfully". You also need to run the installer after downloading - it's not clear whether you actually did this. Go to your Programs and Features control panel in Windows; do you see an entry for the Texas Topo? If it was correctly installed, it will be listed there as though it were a "program" on your computer.

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Yes, both it and the Trail program are there.  I've used the installer each time it came up and both said it was done successfully.

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »

I should have been clearer.  It has some magical properties that will cure your problem.  Think jbensman=Gandalf.

Be sure that BaseCamp isn't running when you do the install.  Or try shutting BC down then re-starting it as it only looks for new mapsets at startup.  You may have to uninstall and re-install the mapsets.  The installer you downloaded is probably OK, so if you uninstall them, just re-use it.

Sorry but you lost me on your first paragraph.

BaseCamp is NOT running, I double checked.  This is really getting frustrating.

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »

To the mapsets show up in the "Uninstall Programs" window of the control panel?

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
The only other thing I can suggest would be uninstalling then reinstalling Basecamp. Others have reported that this fixed a similar problem, although I don't really understand why it should.

Before doing that, you might just re-boot your computer and check basecamp one last time to see if that makes a difference.

maps4gps

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »
The 'my trails ...' mapset needs to be installed before installing the TX topo. 

If still not working: uninstall 'my trails ...', TXtopo and BaseCamp.
Then install BaseCamp.  With BC closed, install 'my trails ...', open BC and check for 'my trails ...'.  Close BC, then install TXtopo - then open BC - TXtopo should be there.

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »

To the mapsets show up in the "Uninstall Programs" window of the control panel?

Yes, and I just reinstalled the 100K US map with BaseCamp with the same old results.

sheltie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
The only other thing I can suggest would be uninstalling then reinstalling Basecamp. Others have reported that this fixed a similar problem, although I don't really understand why it should.

Before doing that, you might just re-boot your computer and check basecamp one last time to see if that makes a difference.

I did, it didn't.

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
Can you see ANYTHING in My Trails?  Above 7 miles, you should only see dots.  Zoom below 7 miles on a dot and trails show up.