GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Counties with no roads in SW & NW Topo

Started by Eurastus, April 06, 2009, 06:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eurastus

Sorry to be a n00b and rain on the parade, but I found that Washington County, Utah (southwest corner of the state) has no roads in the SW USA Topo map.  Not even the freeway that runs through that county is shown.  Surrounding counties look fine.

Most strange...

Eurastus

It looks like Davis County in Northern Utah is also missing all roads.  This is part of the NW USA Topo set.

This makes me wonder what other counties are missing road information.  I suppose I should check the whole state.

Eurastus

Grand County in Utah (Moab area), which is in the SW USA Topo map is also missing all roads.

I'm starting to loose confidence in this map set...

dhisum_dhisum

Thanks for bringing this to attention. Well, yes, I do see the omissions in the map, but this is just the v1 of the map. These things can be fixed in V2 of the maps. You should always verify any section of the map that you intend to use. Use the best map available for the job. I see that there is a separate Utah map available as well at  http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html. Maybe that does not have the mistakes and will fulfill your needs. There is no reason to lose faith in these maps. Creating the 20ft contours for entire United States is a gargantuan task and some mistakes are expected. However, for the most part, these maps pretty much provide the best seamless coverage for now.

maps4gps

Indyjpr's Utah map at misjunk is very nice in the Moab area.  The transportation info came from UDOT and shows the 4-wheel trails with names in the area.

Eurastus

I've used the MiscJunk maps for quite some time now, and will default to them until the SW USA Topo gets fixed.

I've found, with the exception of these three counties, that the SW USA Topo series has much more detailed roads (perhaps from more recent data sets) and more frequent topo lines than MiscJunk's maps.  They take up more space, but give better detail.

I'd like to load on as many maps as I think I might need before I ever head out.  Sometimes, the motorcycle decides where it wants to go and I don't always know in advance what maps will cover my destination.

beachblu

Indeed, I find missing county roads in Oregon, specifically Benton County in the Willamette Valley. Wonder what caused this? Otherwise, the topos are great.

-Oz-

Likely the author just missed the download during compiling.  Hopefully the author sees this thread and can correct. Miscjunk is likely not going to update his maps for awhile.  Even my maps are taking me awhile to push new versions out (only 4 have the latest roads).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Usually the Census TIGER files are used for transportation (which also contains hydro lines).
Their files are by county.  A few times I have noticed one of the files in a county did not get downloaded for some reason.  In going back some days later the file has always been there, so I would guess there might have be a conflict in accessing the file or some other glitch in the download.  Over the years, there have been numerous posts of missing counties in the Ibycus USA mapset.

I doubt you will get a response from the author of the regional topo mapsets.  His only presence on the forums here was during the time he was uploading them.