GPSFileDepot.com

Unable to load Colorado and Wyoming topos to gps

Started by mileup1, February 08, 2012, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mileup1

1.Do not know version of mapinstall. Maybe I don't actually have "mapinstall". BaseCamp version I have is 3.2.2. When the USB reader/ writer is connected with card in it. I rt click on device in Basecamp and then click on "Install Maps on Memory Card" which it does. 2. New Computer, downloaded BaseCamp a couple of weeks ago. 3. SanDisk is the brand card I have. 4. Don't know if hard drive is a Fat 32 or not. Under my computer the drive shows a designation of "T1106240WOD(C:)" with a file system of NTFS. 5. The 64mb card with the garmin partial maps that is still working in the GPSr was downloaded by me to the card from mapsource 4 or 5 years ago. thx wl   

Seldom

I think that's the last official version of BaseCamp, but  there's a Beta that's more recent.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but have you updated to the latest Etrex software?  I think the original version was limited to 2GB but that was a long time ago.

Also, the memory card should be formatted to FAT32, AFAIK hard drive doesn't matter.

I remember when I got my 60CSX (2006) Garmin mentioned that it was allergic to one particular SanDisk card.  But Garmin's FAQ isn't showing anything useful.

Hint: I'd find your posts easier to read if you'd break them down into more paragraphs.

mileup1

Downloaded card in the GPSr with Co topo instead of external reader/writer. Takes alot more time which I knew. GPSr not only stayed on but was able to use Co topo in the GPSr finally! Could the USB card reader/writer be the problem? Would rather use card reader/writer for speed obviously.  thx wl

Seldom

It sure could! Old reader might not support newer faster card.  This happened to me when I got my first 4GB card, but I was able to find a faster reader (thumb drive size that takes external card) for about 8USD on Amaxon.

Glad you got it sorted.

Boyd

Older USB card readers often don't support SDHC cards, and it's virtually impossible to find a non-SDHC micro card. So it may be the type of card as opposed to the capacity. I ran into this problem myself a few years ago when the internal slots in my Dell desktop computer wouldn't work properly with SDHC cards. So I dug out my USB reader and found it was incompatible as well!  >:(

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 10, 2012, 12:29:04 PM
So it may be the type of card as opposed to the capacity.
That's what I meant to say.  Older, smaller cards weren't "HC".

mileup1

This card reader I have been using is new. It is USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader and is supposed to support SD/SDHC memory cards. I realize that it could still be bad so tell me what to get. "Seldom", do you know the parameters for your Thumb Drive or what to order. Thanks for all of you guys help. wl

Seldom

Mine just says 'Kingston" on it, and it looks like it's out of production.  Considering your card's a Sandisk this might be your safest option http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroMate-Memory-Reader-SDDR-113/dp/B000YBH4YU/ref=pd_vtp_e_10 but really you're on your own with this.  As I read it, it looks like you need an adapter to get it up to SD size.  Do you have one of those?

maps4gps

I would suggest you select 2 or 3 quads from CO, 2 or 3 quads from WY (adjacent to CO would be easier to find) and 2 or 3 from TX.  Send these to the card in the GPSr (should not take long with only 6 to 9 or so quads).

If that works, do the same with the card reader.

With all the reformats you did, Windows 7 may have reformated the card in NTS without give the option of FAT32 if the card was in the reader.  If the card was in the GPSr, perhaps the GPSr reformated it to FAT32 if there was no existing valid mapset on the card. 

Boyd

If your card reader specifically says it supports SDHC cards, then I doubt that it's the problem...

mileup1

I took my 4g sdhc card out of etrex vista cx that was working and put the card in another new card reader/writer. I did not format the card as I thought I would download to the card by Mapinstall by garmin's erasing what maps were on the card and by installing a partial topo to the card in the reader/writer.

After putting the card back into the etrex, the etrex did shut down. I then went on and tried to format the card in both NTFS which is my system in windows 7 and FAT 32(default) which didn't work. I then CUT the card in the reader to delete data and was successful in formatting the card in FAT32 with nothing on it.

I now have the card back into the etrex and it is downloading the maps I originally had in there. I guess there is more than a card reader/writer problem with using reader/writer to download maps as Boyd suggested. thx