GPSFileDepot.com

Unable to load Colorado and Wyoming topos to gps

Started by mileup1, February 08, 2012, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mileup1

Downloaded Texas, Colorado, and Wyoming 2011 topo maps to basecamp. I formatted a new SDHC 4 gig micro card on a USB card reader/writer and tried to load the maps collectively to the card with mapinstall. At the finish of mapinstall, the message said that the installation was unsuccessful. I then reformatted the card and loaded them one at a time. the only map that would load was the Texas topo. I deleted the Colo and Wy from basecamp and downloaded them again in basecamp. I formatted the card each time prior to trying to load them separately. Neither Colo or Wy would load. What have I done wrong, or is Colo and Wy 2011 topos corrupt or something  wrong with them? I do have Texas 2011 topo currently on the 4 gig card in my Garmin Etrex Vista CX.  Thanks  wl

Seldom

What OS are you using?
Since you are using Map Install, is it safe to assume that ALL the maps loaded in BaseCamp and can be viewed there?

mileup1

All three maps  are in basecamp and was able to view all 3 in basecamp. Please help me with what OS is and I'll answer your question. thks wl 

mileup1

Seldom

You realize, I hope, that your Etrex Vista can only have a single file named gmapsupp.img, but that you can use MapInstall to combine all the maps into a single file. (See http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#pcbasecamp )  If you try to load the maps one at a time you will overwrite them.

If you have gotten at least one map to you card and can view it there, I'd say review the tutorial carefully.  However, you may also want to look at the limitations Garmin places on cards for your Etrex.
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9dec4ad0-954a-11dd-f60b-000000000000}

mileup1

As I originally said, first install to card I did combine all 3 maps in mapinstall prior to trying to get them to the card. After that I did try individually to install the maps one at a time and repeatedly the only one to install was Texas. thx wl

Seldom

Quote from: mileup1 on February 08, 2012, 07:18:41 PM
After that I did try individually to install the maps one at a time and repeatedly the only one to install was Texas. thx wl
If by that you mean you installed Colorado or Wyoming and you got an error or , turned on your Etrex, and nothing was there, I'm out of ideas.  Only other thing I can suggest is uninstalling Colorado and Wyoming and re-installing them. (With BaseCamp closed).  Or downloading again and re-installing.

jbensman

Are both the CO and WY maps by the same author?  The CO and WY maps should have overlap.  Your problem could be you are loading coverage of the same area from both the CO and WY maps.  So try not loading coverage for the same area from both maps.

mileup1

Only 1 time did I combine all 3 topos into gmapsupp.img and it did not work. After that I put the topos separate from each other 1 at a time into gmapsupp.img and tried to load them only 1 at a time to the card. Only sucessful with Texas topo. I then deleted Co and Wy from Basecamp, downloaded Wy and Co to Basecamp again, but still could not get Wy or Co by themself to download so as to have only Co or wy on the card at 1 time. I repeated the delete from Basecamp etc again with same result. If I put the card with Co or Wy loaded on it in the Etrex it immediately shut down and turned off. At this point, I reloaded Texas separately with success and have now deleted Wy and Co from BaseCamp again. Yes, Wy and Co are both created by maps4gps, but do not appear to overlap each other. thx wl   

Seldom

Quote from: mileup1 on February 09, 2012, 10:14:20 AM
Yes, Wy and Co are both created by maps4gps, but do not appear to overlap each other. thx wl

To follow jbensman's suggestion though, try loading border tiles from only one state.  That would eliminate the possibility of overlap.

jbensman, do you have any idea why the overlap should be a problem?  The only thing I can think of is that map tiles had the same names in both states.  When I load maps with that problem onto my OR, they don't show up, but I don't get an error message.

maps4gps

First - sorry for not posting sooner; three others in the family have various needs for the modem/internet and I was out for most of the day.

Seldom & jbensman - There is no overlap nor duplicate quads/tiles between WY & CO.  I work/build in quads and then 'package' by State.  In this case quads with a southern latitude of 41 degrees went to WY, those with a northern latitude of 41 degrees went to CO; no quads cross 41 degrees. 

mileup - you verbage describing what you have been done is variable, and I am not sure you are doing what we think you are doing.  I.e. - original post - '... tried to load the maps ... '; reply 5 - '... first install to card ...'; reply 8 - ' ... download .... to have ... on the card ...'
I rarely use BaseCamp nor MapInstall, however, the procedure would be to:
1. download a mapset;
2. run/execute the .exe file to install the mapset creating the proper links in the Windows registry;
3. (view the data in BaseCamp as needed);
4. select some or all the quads/tiles from one or more mapsets and upload them to the GPSr/micro memory card.

You mentioned being able to view each of the mapsets in BaseCamp, I think your downloads (from this website correct? ) are OK.

I do not think you can delete a mapset from BaseCamp.  You need to run the uninstall .exe file which is in the folder for each mapset (each is specific to the mapset it was packaged with).

1. Uninstall the CO topo 2011 mapset.
2. With BaseCamp and MapInstall closed; install CO topo 2011.  Try this first without a another download from gpsfiledepot.
3. Start BaseCamp; select CO topo 2011; zoom-in to at least the 2 mile level to view the actual data.  - Note this is just a check and need not be done to upload map data to the GPSr/card.
4.  Close BaseCamp and start MapInstall; select CO topo; use the marquee tool to select some or all of the quads; note the total file size selected; then upload them to the GPSr/card. 
5.  Check the Garmin folder on the GPSr/card for a gmapsupp.img file with the time of upload.  The file size of gmapsupp.img should be close to what it was in MapInstall - Just another check.
6.  If necessary, put the card in the GPSr.
7.  Check to make sure the mapset is listed and enabled.
8.  Pan to the area of data you uploaded. (zoom-out, use the Garmin base-map for reference; zoom-in).  This does not happen automatically as it may do in BaseCamp/MapInstall.
9.  With display detail set to normal, the GPSr will switch from the Garmin base-map to the CO topo mapset at about the 3 mile display level.  The full detail of the mapset will be displayed when you have zoomed-in to about the 0.2mi or 800' display level.

This should work, when it does not, it has almost always been because something was not done but the user said they did do it. 

mileup1

I followed your 9 items which I had already been doing. Co topo with mapinstall said I successfully loaded Co onto the card. Put card in GPSr and it immediately shut down and turned off. Reformatted card and then mapinstall said I was successful at loading Texas topo (which I had been able to use in the GPSr previously OK) but when put in the GPSr it now shut the handheld down immediately. I then put another card with garmin maps on it in the GPSr and it worked fine. I then put the card that shut the gps down back in the card reader/writer one more time and mapinstall said I was successful at downloading Texas topo again. Put card in GPSr and immediately shut down the gps. Could the 64 bite in this windows 7 be the problem even though I do have Map Trails loaded in BaseCamp? ths wl 

mileup1

I reformatted the 4g card that shut down the GPSr and with it blank with nothing on it, it worked in the gps fine with no shutdown. wl

maps4gps

I have never heard of anything like that before.

The 'my trails ... ' was necessary for the mapsets using a 64-bit installer to install so that BaseCamp/MapInstall/MapSource could use them.  If the Garmin software programs see the mapsets (which they have) you are past that issue. 

What version of MapInstall are you using?
Was it recently downloaded?
What brand of micro memory card?
And perhapd most critically, was the card formated in FAT32?  If not, that has been a problem in the past for any mapset.
Was that a prerecorded Garmin mapset or something you loaded onto a blank micro memory card?

jbensman

Another posibility is he may have mapsets with the same img file name.  The OP needs to be clear on which maps he is using.  Are all 3 maps4gps?  If not, there could be a conflcit with img file names.  The OP may also have some other map on the GPS that has the same file name.  A long time ago, Eastern Land Ownership and Western Land Ownership had an img with the same name for one of the imgs.  Until I fixed the problem, if you loaded both map sets, only one mapset (not the conflciting img, but the entire mapset) would show on the GPS.