GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

newb assistance - map overlay

Started by alabamatoy, February 04, 2012, 11:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabamatoy

I have made Garmin maps several years and several OS versions before, but it seems to have come a long way, based on looking through this site.  When I did it, you practically had to bury a dead cat at midnight at a specific crossroad under a full moon to make it work.  I need some advice now on where to begin....again.

I dont want to make a whole map.  All I want to do is create an overlay that would show a property boundary and some specific POIs on the property.  It would be best for me if people could use whatever map they want, and simply have my specific property boundary and POIs show up on their existing map.  Is this possible?

Be gentle, point me at a tutorial or idiot's guide to overlays....

Seldom

http://www.gpx2img.com/ looks like the simplest way but it costs $20.

You could almost as easily "ADD" your gpx files in GPSmapedit, save it as a transparent map and compile w/ cgpsmapper.  I'm not sure if ADD works the same way in the unregistered version of GPSmapedit as it does with the registered version.  The registered version costs $65, but has added features.

A more broad brushl tutorial than can be found on this site can be found at http://home.roadrunner.com/~creek/garmin.htm

alabamatoy

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I DLed the gpx2img tool, and probably will buy it.  But I still need a way to show a property boundary.  I have the waypoints of each corner of the property, but I need a way to show either a line connecting the boundary points, or better yet a shaded area within the boundary.  Suggestions?  Is there some drawing tool Im missing?

My intent is to be able to give someone the map and they can use their Pto tell easily if they are on the property or off it.  If there's a better way to do this, school me please!

Seldom

You can draw lines to connect corners in GPSmapedit.  You can also draw polygons defined by the corners.  Both are dropdown options on the magic want button.  GPSmapedit and cgpsmapper have a little steeper learning curve, but they are a lot more flexible once you know how to use them.  Then again, if all you are trying to do is define a boundary line, you could load your waypoints into MapSource, connect them with the track drawing tool, save the result as a GPX, and share that with anybody who owns a GPSr.  An IMG file will only work for Garmin's.