News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

no roads shown on city navigator routable map

Started by Monstel, February 01, 2012, 11:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monstel

Hi,
Since some time I use a GPSMap 62s with a city navigator 2010 map for car navigation, performed without issues until today. I believe I understand the available menu functionality rather well.
Since today the device does not show roads anymore. It still does present the location of rivers, waypoints, etc and it still navigates giving the correct arrows and messages so the roads are there. But it does not show any roads in the map on the display.
I tested about all available menu options and settings but none seem to resolve the issue.
Any recommendations?

Regards,
Monstel

Seldom

Quoteand it still navigates giving the correct arrows and messages so the roads are there.

Where is the CN installed? Internal Memory or card?
CNNA or somewhere else?
Garmin Card or Generic?
Have you tried changing profiles?
Have you tried a master reset?

I have observed this problem on some maps I created using an old version of mkgmap, but I wouldn't expect to see it on Garmin commercial products.  My problem occurred on the edges of tiles.

Boyd

My bet is that it has something to do with profiles, which have been known to create problems with missing map features. Try changing the profile to something else, then change it to Automotive and see what happens.

maps4gps

Have you mentioned this on Garmin's forums or contacted their tec support?
Perhaps if enough people with an issue let Garmin know about it they may work on correcting iy it and save other users wasting time with the same issue.

Did you add another mapset and/or update the software on the 62?

Boyd

If you read the FAQ's at Garmin's forums, they say the forums are only for the support of their desktop (PC and Mac) software and not GPS Devices. So unless the problem is somehow related (for example) to using City Navigator in Basecamp, the Garmin forums won't be much help. Different teams write the software for the GPS units and they do not participate in the forums.

You should contact Garmin support directly if you want their help with a GPS unit: http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 01, 2012, 02:44:51 PM
and not GPS Devices.
Actually they support a number of running and fitness and cycling GPSrs.  Just not handhelds or NUVIs.

Boyd

Ah, OK I don't visit those forums. I was thining of "Falagar" over there who is one of the desktop app developers and has been really helpful with issues such as Basecamp. But after seeing so many posts about Nuvi's and Handhelds he finally put a link in his .signature telling people to contact support with device and map update issues.  :)

Monstel

All,

Thanks for these appreciated replies. To answer some questions:
*The CN map is installed on the internal memory of the GPSMAP
*I have not updated any software or maps recently
* the software is the original Garmin city navigator map Europe 2010.
*Changing profiles (back and forth to automobile) has no effect, still no roads visible

I will try a hard reset to see whether it solves anything and I will report this problem to  Garmin.

I'll update you on the results.
Monstel

Boyd

I would remove all the maps from the unit except what was pre-installed (probably gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img), then load City Navigator again and see what happens. That would eliminate the possibility of a bad interaction with another map.

Seldom

Quote from: Monstel on February 02, 2012, 10:00:58 AM
*The CN map is installed on the internal memory of the GPSMAP
Monstel
How big a file is CNEU?  Is there much free internal memory when it's installed?
I hope you have CNEU on a computer so you can re-install it?
Have you tried setting your detail settings to Most?
(Menu|Menu|Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup)

Monstel

All,

After performing a hard reset to factory settings and reinstalling the CNEU2010 map, the problem with disappeared roads is now only limited to the Automobile profile, other profiles shows roads as they did before.

It does appear now that all profiles (except the automobile profile) show maps in grey-scales which are not easy to read and look rather dull. Is there a method of reinstalling the factory profiles or to change the colors that the GPSMap uses?
Thanks for all your help!

Monstel

Boyd

Sounds like something is very wrong there. Have you contacted Garmin support?

Seldom

Quote from: Monstel on February 04, 2012, 05:58:35 AM
Is there a method of reinstalling the factory profiles or to change the colors that the GPSMap uses?
I would have thought a hard reset would have done that.

Is CNEU the only map on the GPSr (besides the time zone map and basemap) as Boyd suggested above?  If not you should still try that.  Personally, I'd also get a memory card, remove any added maps from internal memory (leave the time zone and basemap) and send them to the card. I would do this with one map at a time and use a variety of maps including a map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, and another European site like opencyclemap or talkytoaster.

If any of my suggestions work, it would indicate a problem with the map software.  If none of them work, it's probably a hardware problem.

Quoteperformed without issues until today

How long did it perform properly?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on February 04, 2012, 06:47:26 AM
Sounds like something is very wrong there. Have you contacted Garmin support?
Yes, you will need to resolves this issue with Garmin support. You pais for that support when you purchased their products.