GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dakota 20 and Map installation

Started by Scorpio49, January 25, 2012, 06:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpio49

Trying to install Georgia topo. Ran installer, opened basecamp. I see Ga map in dropdown however it appears as a large blank white suqare in the center of the screen. Tried view,etc nothing changes. I did install My trails first and don't see anything there either other than small dots, cannot zoom in. Both maps are in drop down. Basemap can be seen fine. Seems a simple process not sure what I am doing wrong.

Boyd

In Basecamp or Mapsource, hold down the control key and press G (control-G). That toggles the display of map detail on and off, and I suspect it could be your problem. View> Basic Map Only does the same thing.

Seldom

Re: My Trails.  Zoom in on one of the dots.  Detail except for the dots doesn't show until zoom is closer than 7 miles.

Scorpio49

That did it guys. Thanks

If I want to add another map, say California do I rename the gmapsupp file to say Georgia Topo so Calif will install. Do I add the .img extension to it?

maps4gps

The map sent to the GPSr will be named gmapsupp.img.  Rename it to somename.img.  The .img extension is necessary.

-Oz-

Quote from: Scorpio49 on January 25, 2012, 01:17:21 PM
That did it guys. Thanks

If I want to add another map, say California do I rename the gmapsupp file to say Georgia Topo so Calif will install. Do I add the .img extension to it?
I don't know if the GPS will recognize spaces, I normally try to leave them out (aka GeorgiaTopo.img vs Georgia Topo.img)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Not sure about .img files, but the names of .kmz files ("custom maps") are really finicky. They won't work correctly if they contain anything but letters and numbers, unless Garmin has fixed this recently. So Georgia-Topo.kmz wouldn't even work correctly for this kind of map.

And it's even worse, because .kmz files are actually zip archives containing multiple .jpg files. If any of the .jpg's inside the .kmz violate this rule, the whole file will fail to be recognized as well.