GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

When to recharge batteries...

Started by The Foster Bear, January 24, 2012, 06:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Foster Bear

I have the GPSmap 62sc. The batteries now are showing 1/2 charge. Are these like the old NiCAD batteries that need to be run to zero before recharging? If I recharge now, will I loose capacity on the batteries?

Thanks, The Foster Bear

babj615

Quote from: The Foster Bear on January 24, 2012, 06:48:22 AM
I have the GPSmap 62sc. The batteries now are showing 1/2 charge. Are these like the old NiCAD batteries that need to be run to zero before recharging? If I recharge now, will I loose capacity on the batteries?

Thanks, The Foster Bear

What kind of batteries are in your GPSr?

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

-Oz-

If these are new rechargables you should be good to go to recharge.  However, all the batteries have a limited number of recharge cycles.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

The Foster Bear

The batteries are marked Rechargable NI-MH Battery, 2, AA size. Make is NEXcell.

I asked because our Preservation Society camera needs a replacement since it won't take a charge. It is a Sony which is unique to the camera. They keep changing the battery configuration. It is no longer carried in any stores and I have to send away. Cost is $53.

Thanks for the reply.

The Foster Bear

DesertCruiser

If I read this correctly, the Nickle Metal Hydrid batteries your trying to use will acquire a memory -- that is if they are only partially charged, then in the future they may only partially charge. These batteries were our worst pain in digital cameras and to fix this I would recommend you use Alkaline batteries. We gave up on NI-MH penlights a long time ago because of this. For one, if your battery dies they are easily replaced and even if your out you can buy a new set at a local mini-mart you'll be ready to go, where as you may not be near a power source to recharge the others. The other bad thing about them is they won't hold a charge, usually only having a shelf life (that is to hold a charge) of 30 days or less. The newer lithium batteries that everyone is going to can hold a full charge for at least a year, and take many more charges than the NI-MH batteries will. You can always carry a few extra AA Alkaline batteries with you.

Hope this helps,
Don....
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

EagleBoy

There are no AA size rechargeable lithium batteries available.

EagleBoy

Quote from: The Foster Bear on January 24, 2012, 11:49:39 AM
The batteries are marked Rechargable NI-MH Battery, 2, AA size. Make is NEXcell.

I asked because our Preservation Society camera needs a replacement since it won't take a charge. It is a Sony which is unique to the camera. They keep changing the battery configuration. It is no longer carried in any stores and I have to send away. Cost is $53.

Thanks for the reply.

The Foster Bear

In you first post you say they are Ni-Mhs which do have a finite life.  If you want to continue to us  NiMh batteries, I recommend that you go to Imedion battereis.  I use them in my Dakota and they rock!  Their unique chemistry allows them to hold 90% charge about a year.  they do extremely well in cold, too.

What are you paying 53 bucks for???

-Oz-

I am a big fan of the sanyo enloop batteries; they seem to have the best life and aren't very expensive.  they also hold a charge for a very very long time.  Sanyo Battery Starter Kit

I also got a sony battery pack that does "smart" charging where I can refresh my existing batteries (complete drain and slow recharge, makes them healthy again).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: -Oz- on January 24, 2012, 04:50:26 PM
I am a big fan of the sanyo enloop batteries; they seem to have the best life and aren't very expensive.  they also hold a charge for a very very long time.  Sanyo Battery Starter Kit

I also got a sony battery pack that does "smart" charging where I can refresh my existing batteries (complete drain and slow recharge, makes them healthy again).
I also use the SANYO eneloops, and use one of these in the field to hold extra AA & CR321 cells

jtkt1981

I've also been very happy using the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.
Excellent at holding a charge on the shelf.  Also seem to outperform higher capacity batteries I have used in terms of battery life ( ie. runtime on the gps) for a fully charged cell. :)

EagleBoy

FWIW, I tested/have Eneloops and the Imedions and if you like the Eneloops, you l will LOVE the Imedions.  They perform even better in my tests.