GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Have New Etrex Vista HcX ... Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Started by Fish Addict, January 23, 2012, 06:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Addict

I just got my new Garmin Etrex Vista HcX... and installed the cd from Garmin.  Trip and Waypoint manager.  I am using a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
I downloaded FL TOPO to the pc..  It shows correctly but I cannot put it on the GPS .  It does transfer the waypoints and tracks and routes but not maps.  That square is greyed out.

I am not computer illiterate but the tutorial is confusing to me since the pictures do no reflect what my GPS shows or the Trip and Waypoints manager. 

My second problem is the micro-chip I bought doesn't show on my computer as a place to file to.  It is a 4gig unit too. 

I need some help getting to understand the mechanics of getting FL Topo on this GPS..

Thanks for replies in advance.

Boyd

For starters, if that disk was included with the GPS it is probably a very old version. Download the final version of Mapsource here, however you should realize that Garmin has discontinued Mapsource. There were definitely issues with the older versions on Windows 7 however, so this one might fix your problem.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Also make sure that your GPS software is up to date. IIRC, old versions did not support memory cards larger than 2GB. Not sure if that was corrected by an update. Download and run Webupdater. It will let you know if there's a newer version of the unit software:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Fish Addict

Thanks for that help..  I did the updater before I tried the download.   

So Basecamp is the NEW format to use???

I did download Mapsource latest version... but will now follow your suggestions.

Thanks   I will get back. 

Fish Addict

Thanks Boyd.  ALL software is up to date. 

I will go back and re read the tutorials and see where I went wrong. 

I may be back but thanks for your help.

-Oz-

Definitely use Basecamp to transfer the maps.  Should make the process easier.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

On the eTrex Vista HCx; Waypoints, Tracks and Routes get loaded to the GPS it's self. Maps get loaded to the microSD datacard, as well as POI files and the card is used for track logging. If the GPS software is current, it will hold up to a 32GB card, but anything over a 8 is overkill. A 4GB card seems like the max needed, but once formatted, it will hold less than 4GB. The unit will format a card without a computer, you might want to try that. Also, you might want to make sure the card is seated correctly. You can put the GPS into USB transfer mode to mount the datacard to the desktop.

Seldom

My 60CSX can archive tracks to the microSD card.  Generates an archive for every day of use.  IIRC 10,000 point limit per daily archive.  If the Etrex can do this, it's worth exploring.  Menu|Menu|Tracks|Setup|Data Card Setup
does it on the 60CSX.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on January 24, 2012, 02:50:31 PM
My 60CSX can archive tracks to the microSD card.  Generates an archive for every day of use.  IIRC 10,000 point limit per daily archive.  If the Etrex can do this, it's worth exploring.  Menu|Menu|Tracks|Setup|Data Card Setup
does it on the 60CSX.
Yes it can, you can autolog tracks to the microSD card. I believe there is a limit of 250 tracks, so copy them to your computer twice a year and you're good to go.

Fish Addict

My problem is still the same.   I installed Basecamp and cannot get FL TOPO to show on the computer.  FL TOPO seems to be a GMAP file and Basecamp seems to want .kmz files. 

I also installed the latest Mapsource. THere was a warning on Garmin.com that it would not work if the maps were not purchased.   No other explanations given.  I am so totally lost now. 

I still think the problem is with my computer OS being Windows 7 64bit.  I can't use my XP computer due to overheating.,...

Boyd

It really helps if you give us a link to the specific map you're talking about. Is this it? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/123/

I don't think that's a .gmap. GPSFileDepot has just recently started to host maps in the gmap format because they work on both Windows and Macs without needed separate versions. But even if it is a .gmap, it will work fine on Windows.

.kmz files are a completely different kind of map that is only compatible with certain new models of Garmin handhelds. If the map is the one I linked to above, then this tutorial should be all you need to do for Basecamp: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 25, 2012, 06:19:59 AM
I don't think that's a .gmap.

Mine is, -Oz- put this up several months ago as a test installer.

Fish Addict

THanks for all the help.. I just returned my unit to Garmin.  It seems something is wrong with it.  They are going to send me a new unit but that will take a week or two with shipping.   SO I am now in limbo. 

I will come back here when I know more and can work with the unit... 

Thanks for all your help... everyone.