GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

deleted post and "negative" karma???

Started by Wyo, January 22, 2012, 07:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyo

Last thur. or fri. I had made a post regarding: can you use basecamp as a GPS on laptop?

Boyd replied and was very helpful and informative. Well, I log on sun. morning and it's gone, plus I have a "negative" karma attached to my user name.

What is going on? Is there some backroom drama that I'm not aware of?

-Oz-

I can assure you there is no backroom drama however I don't know about your post.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Wyo

Quote from: -Oz- on January 22, 2012, 08:15:47 AM
I can assure you there is no backroom drama however I don't know about your post.

Please look into it, then. Pretty bizarre that this post was "poofed" and equally bizarre that I receive a "Negative" Karma moniker.

Hmm, an innocent inquiring post, a thoughtful and informative reply by Boyd, then, after being absent from this site for a day or 2 and finding post poofed and I'm slapped with a negative Karma.

If someone in the backroom here wants to have a power trip, I'd advise them to get a life

Boyd

I think that's putting it a bit harsh myself. But I'm curious - does the forum now have a policy that the only topics for discussion are making/using the maps on this site? If so, that's certainly fine with me, but it would be nice to see some posting guidelines so that I know not to bother answering questions like the above-mentioned one..

Wyo

Hmm, now my "karma" is at 0, when it was -1 earlier this a/m. Unless this site has been hacked, there indeed is some backroom shenanigans going on. If so, then I think the "power trip" classification is correct

Boyd, thanks much for your response(s) late last week. I was going to work on doing the nRoute/Laptop GPS today by following your advice. Sadly, post was deleted

Craw

[THIS POST REMOVED By -Oz-]

Wyo

Well, hmm.....

I see that there are 2 names listed as Mods: Oz and Indrid Cold

Oz pm'd me denied doing it and said that he was unaware of the deletion but would check into it.

Never heard from Indrid Cold...hmm!?

-Oz-

So, after talking to indrid his actions make complete sense.  Although the question seemed innocent (asking how to use Basecamp as a GPS) you appeared to be using it to bypass the locking that the map author (MTCart) has put in place.  MTCart wants you to buy the map if you're going to use it and provides it for the computer as a way of "demo-ing" the map.

We encourage the use of maps and software however we do not want people to violate author's or Garmin's copyright or locking.

However, as you remember from Boyd's post the method is nroute on a laptop but nroute is no longer a supported program so some maps may not work.  Additionally, the MTCart map is still supposed to be paid for for use with a GPS.

For now I'm leaving this topic unlocked but if personal attacks occur I will modify it accordingly and lock it.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Wyo

Quote from: -Oz- on January 23, 2012, 07:22:14 AM
So, after talking to indrid his actions make complete sense.  Although the question seemed innocent (asking how to use Basecamp as a GPS) you appeared to be using it to bypass the locking that the map author (MTCart) has put in place.  MTCart wants you to buy the map if you're going to use it and provides it for the computer as a way of "demo-ing" the map.

We encourage the use of maps and software however we do not want people to violate author's or Garmin's copyright or locking.

However, as you remember from Boyd's post the method is nroute on a laptop but nroute is no longer a supported program so some maps may not work.  Additionally, the MTCart map is still supposed to be paid for for use with a GPS.

For now I'm leaving this topic unlocked but if personal attacks occur I will modify it accordingly and lock it.

What the hell are you talking about? Nobody was trying to bypass nothing. Are you F'n serious? This is the only excuse that you can come up with.

It was simple as this: I asked if basecamp could be used in conjunction with a gps receiver to create a "laptop" gps...simple as that...nobody, no entity was trying to be bypassed! 

It was bad moderation, simple as that.

-Oz-

Wyo: Boyd helped me by finding the original post.  I now notice that the map you are using you also use on your GPS and thus you have a legal version of the map.  I do believe that a mistake has been made however sadly I can't really bring the post back.  With that said; I have recreated the post so that it is here for archival sake.

Sorry for the confusion this has caused.  Everyone is just trying to do the right thing.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Wyo

No problem, don't sweat it...sounds like an accidental mistake...I got over it.  :)

Craw, I saw your response which is now gone. Relax partner, it's no big deal.

Oz  - lock or delete this thread if you like, it's over and done. Just one of those internet goof ups

-Oz-

Wyo, glad we could remedy this situation as best as possible.

Craw's response was a personal attack on me and Indrid so he was banned since I warned him privately that that would occur.  This is a family friend forum where we try to help other GPS users out.

This thread is now locked so we can get back to enjoying our units and making maps.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!