GPSFileDepot.com

How to install a few maps at once on the etrex 30?

Started by jamato8, January 14, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamato8

I have been having issues with the etrex 30 I just got. I would like to load more than one map but I can not figure out how to load more than one map. I assume that because of the file name you have to load what you want all at once? And if you load more maps, you have to reload all of them again?

So I have about 5 maps I would like to load to the etrex but I can't seem to figure out how to check more than one map to load. I use a Mac with Snow Leopard. I have Basecamp, map instal and the manager.

edit: I reread the information for loading maps. So it appears, which I was not doing, that you have to highlight each topo you want and do the send all at the same time. I think I was doing that before, as I could tell from the memory left that it was down low enough that more than one topo was highlighted. I will try again to load just two topos at once. I can see that using a micro chip is much better since for some unknown reason Garmin has used USB 1, which is stupid.

edit 2: Ok, that worked. I was loading each map and then only the first one would show up as I didn't realize you had to load them all at once as they go into the same folder. So each time you want a new topo, you have to reload everything by going to each map you want for that particular download.

I guess you can't see another topo on the GPS unit if you aren't in that area? I can bring up Nevada, I am in Arizona, but I can't view the Nevada topo on the etrex 30.

jamato8

Nope, isn't working. For some reason I was able to load Arizona and Nevada, but then I wanted to load California and New Mexico, with plenty of room on the internal storage and I cleared the previous downloads and reloaded the 4 maps, only Arizona and Nevada show up. Don't get it.

Seldom

Quote from: jamato8 on January 14, 2012, 09:07:44 PM
only Arizona and Nevada show up. Don't get it.

Show up where?  On the select map menu or on the screen.  If they are on the map menu, but not on the screen, try zooming out.

jamato8

Seldom

Quote from: jamato8 on January 15, 2012, 08:38:42 AM
The maps do not show up on the etrex to be used.
See my question above.  I give two locations on the Etrex. One or both?

jamato8

The maps do not show up on the selected map area that you would enable or disable for use on the etrex. They are download on my computer and are ready to load with Garmin software and show up there as compatible.

Seldom

Somebody who uses a Mac will need to help you further.

JustinG

New GPSr and Forum user. Noticed the problem with the etrex and it seems like the same problem I was having with my 20. Was an easy fix once I looked around the forums. All I had to do was rename the gmapsupp.img file after transferring the map to the device. Each additional map you load will overwrite the previous one if not. Also, I'm not a mac user or computer whiz so my apologies if this is way off base.

Thanks to all you good people for making these maps available! Will donate soon.

jamato8

I tried renaming but it just changed the name of the topo but it didn't add the new maps.

JustinG

Sorry you're having problems. After you add the map to your device rename it while keeping the .img extension. When you add another map "after" that (and rename it as well) you should have two separate maps on the device which can individually be enabled or disabled under menu - setup map - select map.

You have to reload the map again. Not just rename the one already on the device. Hope this helps.

jamato8

You rename the map on the etrex but what do you mean you have to reload it again?

jamato8

I loaded Arizona, which I can view on the etrex when enabled and New Mexico, which I can not view when enabled and the Arizona map is disabled (I am in Arizona). I renamed both as I loaded each one by the state name. I then loaded Nevada but even though I had two imp folders, one with Arizona and one with New Mexico, it put the Nevada map into the New Mexico folder. I can not view the Nevada or New Mexico topo maps.

Edit: Ok, got it fixed. I load one map, rename it, go back, clear selections, highlight another map and when loaded, rename it, clear selections, load a map and rename, etc. Very slow though but it works.