GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How do you load to Garmin Mapinstall directly to the micro chip?

Started by jamato8, January 16, 2012, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamato8

I have plugged in a micro chip to my Mac but the Mapinstall does not see it. So how do you load .img maps directly to the chip vs using the very slow USB 1 on the etrex? Using the maps from this site.

Boyd

jamato8

I can use the card in my Nuvi but for reason my computer, which I can normally format everything, sees the card but stays greyed out regarding formatting. So, something I always do, format, I can't do with this micro SD card.

-Oz-

If you formatted it in windows originally it may have been formatted in NTFS which is "read-only" on the mac (if I remember correctly).

As Boyd said, just re-format it on windows as FAT32 and you should be good to go.

Also, simple check: Make sure the little lock tab isn't in the lock position (experienced this).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Have you tried running the Disk Utility program on your Mac? IIRC, there is some kind of Windows formatting (possibly FAT32) that cannot be changed easily on the Mac. I remember running into this with an external drive once but can't recall the details. If you get an error in Disk Utility, try a google search for whatever it says.

jamato8

Old thread but it was my Mac that had to have the SD slot repaired.

So how do you add maps to the SD Micro card? The Garmin Mapinstall doesn't see the micro card.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: jamato8 on May 16, 2012, 05:36:52 PM
So how do you add maps to the SD Micro card? The Garmin Mapinstall doesn't see the micro card.
I just opened a new microSD card and the current MapInstall sees it and works fine.

SmugWimp

Just another thought; If your Mac has Parallels or VMWare Fusion installed, your SD Card 'may' be used by them, in which case it wouldn't show up on your mac desktop.

Make sure VMWare or Parallels is not running or is not using your SD Card slot resource if you're looking to use it on your Mac.

Cheers!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.