GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Unzipping file and importing to basecamp?

Started by Nazmoto, January 10, 2012, 01:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazmoto

I downloaded the AZ topo map in a tgz format...I can't seem to unzip or get any of my Garmin software to recognize it...what am I doing wrong
I am trying to load on my NUVI 1300...do I need a microsd card?
Sorry newb here...

Thanks
Matt

Seldom

I wouldn't try to load one of this site's map to shared memory with a Garmin proprietary map, so I would load it to a card.

If you downloaded the TGZ format, you downloaded the MAC version of the map.  Not being a MAC owner, I can't help you there, but there are tutorials at the top of the web page that will show you how to install it.  If you own a PC, then you need to download a PC product.

Nazmoto

Thanks...yes I own a mac...tried some unzipping programs but no luck...will try the download again directly to open in Basecamp as opposed to saving?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Nazmoto on January 10, 2012, 01:52:27 PM
I downloaded the AZ topo map in a tgz format...I can't seem to unzip or get any of my Garmin software to recognize it...what am I doing wrong
I am trying to load on my NUVI 1300...do I need a microsd card?
Sorry newb here...

Thanks
Matt
Matt, you need to install Garmin's BaseCamp for Macintosh. Once installed, you just double click the .tgz file and it will give you a .gmapi file. Then double click that .gmapi file and MapManager will install the file. Done. You don't need any other software.

This is from a Mac user.

Boyd

When I double-click a .tgz file on my MacBook pro, it launches the archive utility which should be standard on all Macs - unless they've removed it from a newer version of MacOSX since I'm still on 10.5.8.

You should then have a .gmapi file, and if you do as Indrid says and install Basecamp first, Mapmanager will open and ask if you want to install the map.

Indrid Cold

I have both a vintage ppc with 10.4.6? and the latest and greatest Intel with the current os and both work the same.

I wish the ppc would just croak so I would have a reason to replace it ;)

Nazmoto

Thanks for all the help...I am running Mac 10.6.8...maybe the file I downloaded is incorrect as I downloaded it before I had installed Basecamp?...it is a tgz file but when I try to open it mapmanager opens and says the file cannot be loaded...then it quits...???

Nazmoto

CDuck

I am having the same problem with a different .tgz map.  MapManager installed it, says it is compatible with Garmin products and it is unlocked.  Nevertheless, I can't import the map with BaseCamp, MapInstall, or RoadTrip.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: CDuck on April 01, 2012, 06:46:07 PM
I am having the same problem with a different .tgz map.  MapManager installed it, says it is compatible with Garmin products and it is unlocked.  Nevertheless, I can't import the map with BaseCamp, MapInstall, or RoadTrip.
You don't import maps with those softwares. What map and what exactly do you wish to accomplish?