GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map questions

Started by DesertCruiser, January 09, 2012, 12:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maps4gps

BaseCamp is a free Garmin program which can be downloaded from their website.

Seldom

Quote from: DesertCruiser on January 12, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
Now the question is: Are people with newer model Garmin's like the Nuvi 500 going to be able to use them? Can they open an .mps file in BaseCamp? I don't have BaseCamp.

Don, I just opened BaseCamp and tried to import the MPS files you emailed me.  Sorry, but it didn't work.  The other thing you need to consider is that while they might work in MapSource folks would need to convert them with something like GPSBabel to use them in their GPSrs.

DesertCruiser

Funny, quite a few people have used our .mps files in their GPS units and have told us so. I've opened all the .mps files myself and put them into my Garmin E-trex Vista HCx with no problem. The thing I was worried about was never units not being able to use them.  Maybe the people that used them had older units? Sorry, I just don't understand not being able to use them in your GPS. I'll have to look into this as apparently I can't use the .gpx files on the site for download.
Thanks,
Don....
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Seldom

DesertCruiser

Now that's interesting, that's the site I gave you, and I have never tried to download one of their tracks. I just did and it seemed pretty easy and quick. I'll look into that. Thanks,
Don....

EagleBoy

Quote from: DesertCruiser on January 12, 2012, 01:42:26 PM
Gentlemen: I've run into a little problem using a .gpx format file for a download on our daytrips pages. If you got to this page  http://www.in-the-desert.com/2000flushes.html on our site and click on the Download the Garmin GPS file HERE at the top of the page, you can no longer download the topo track file. When this file is a .mps file it is downloadable. Have any ideas? When you click on this now it opens a meta data file in your browser than won't do anyone any good?

Don....

In your HTML, use the content-disposition header to override the default behavior.

Seldom

Quote from: EagleBoy on January 13, 2012, 07:38:56 AM
In your HTML, use the content-disposition header to override the default behavior.

That sounds really interesting.  Could you post some code that illustrates it, and some more that fixes it.

EagleBoy

As long as .gpx is not a MIME type reserved elsewhere in your system, this explains how to use it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260519

Seldom

Thanks, EagleBoy.  Hope Don's still following this thread.

EagleBoy

No probs.  I see this sort of thing in a lot of my work - folks use MIME reserved words indiscriminately or unknowingly  and it causes no end of grief.  Almost as much grief as using Internet Exploder (sic)  :)

DesertCruiser

Yes I'm still following this, just too many other things that have to get done, isn't that always the way?  Okay, so the easiest and best way will be to change all the tracks to .gpx and then zip them and put a link in to the zip file. I've got a lot of pages to change, but I'd like everyone to have access to them.

Yes, I hate Internet Explorer too, but like I stated before it has to comply as 41.2% of the visitors to our site use it. 20.4% use Google Chrome, and 16.5% use Firefox. Firefox being the worst browser.

Well thanks, It's easy to convert and then zip them in Windows 7.

Thanks for your help,
Don....

DesertCruiser

Okay, I've changed one of them a put a zip file into the directory to download the gpx track and waypoints. Would you mind checking this, you might have to refresh the page is you've already been there.
http://www.in-the-desert.com/2000flushes.html
If this is okay then I can get to work.
Thanks in advance,
Don....

Seldom

Quote from: DesertCruiser on January 13, 2012, 12:37:42 PM
Okay, I've changed one of them a put a zip file into the directory to download the gpx track and waypoints.

Zip file worked fine.

DesertCruiser

Thanks, I'll be working on this for a few days, except tomorrow, going out off Minersville road to look for rocks and gems and any other trouble I can get into, thanks,

Don....