GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New senior user confused

Started by Scorpio49, January 07, 2012, 04:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpio49

My son got me  started on geocaching several months ago so I have ordered an Oregon 450. I opted to save money and not get the 450T(cheap I know).

I understand it comes only with a base map so what do I have to add to use the turn by turn features to get me close to the geocaches? Also once I start hunting I assume I switch to geocaching mode to find the caches, is there another map that has to be installed? I am in georgia. I'm pretty resourceful once pointed in the right direction. My son has the Garmin 62ST so he couldn't answer my questions on this matter.

Enjoy this forum. Thanks in advance

Seldom

IMO the "T" is pretty much a waste of money when you consider the maps from this site.  Most of the stuff here is 24k quality, while the "T" contours are 100k (lower quality).

Suggest you download a Georgia Topo and a copy of BaseCamp.  See the tutorials above for both.

If you want to add a routable turn by turn map for Georgia, I suggest you either get a copy of City Navigator, or try a map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ .  The openstreetmap maps are free, but not as reliable as City Navigator.

I think I gave you pretty much this same answer on GroundSpeak.