GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

multiple maps in the 450t

Started by Roger Clark, January 11, 2012, 08:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Clark

I recently started installing maps on my new 450t.  I tried to put the MN topo map on my mini SD (4G) and then I tried to add the BWCA campsites and portages and the second map over wrote the first.  Am I limited to how many maps I can place on the mini SD at one time?  I did this while the SD card was in the GPS.  I also loaded Roads and Rec. directly to the GPS  along with the internal topo that came installed so I have three maps available to enable or disable.  I knew the internal memory in the GPS would only hold one map at a time but I thought I should be able to load maps in the SD card as long as I did not exceed the memory. Do I have to live with limited maps or is there a solution?

leszekp

Every time you upload maps using BaseCamp, it creates a file called "gmapsupp.img" on your GPS unit that contains the selected maps. If you upload another set of maps, it will also upload them to the "gmapsupp.img" file, wiping out the previous data. However, you can keep the first mapset by changing its name to something else descriptive, e.g. "MN_topo.img" (you need to keep the ".img" file extension); it will show up in your map list as "MN_topo". Keep doing this with successive "gmapsupp.img" files.

Roger Clark

Great info I tried it and it work great.  Thanks for the tip.  Is there a way to show both maps on Base Camp?

maps4gps

Unfortunately neither BaseCamp nor MapSource will display more than one mapset at a time.

cembarnard

Quote from: maps4gps on January 13, 2012, 08:17:43 PM
Unfortunately neither BaseCamp nor MapSource will display more than one mapset at a time.
An alternative to multiple uploads with the need to rename the gmapsupp.img file name is available with Mapsource...

If you open your first mapset with Mapsource and select all the map tiles you wish to download then switch to a different mapset and continue selecting map tiles when you finally download the maps the usual gmapsupp.img is created which includes all the mapsets selected.
The seperate mapsets available are still shown seperately on the GPSr unit and they can still be enabled/disabled independently as usual.
I think the only limit is a physical file size of 4Gb (fat32 limit?) and max number of map tiles on the whole device not to exceed 4000.

pumphouse

Quote from: cembarnard on January 16, 2012, 01:12:17 AM
Quote from: maps4gps on January 13, 2012, 08:17:43 PM
An alternative to multiple uploads with the need to rename the gmapsupp.img file name is available with Mapsource...

If you open your first mapset with Mapsource and select all the map tiles you wish to download then switch to a different mapset and continue selecting map tiles when you finally download the maps the usual gmapsupp.img is created which includes all the mapsets selected.
The seperate mapsets available are still shown seperately on the GPSr unit and they can still be enabled/disabled independently as usual.
I think the only limit is a physical file size of 4Gb (fat32 limit?) and max number of map tiles on the whole device not to exceed 4000.

That works in Basecamp too.