GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Iowa Topo MapInstall error

Started by flyangler, January 01, 2012, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyangler

Hi, it's taken hours but I'm slowly figuring out how to install Maps on my pc and my new Dakota 20.  I downloaded Iowa Topo from GPSFileDepot to my PC but was unable to load it to my Dakota 20.
In BaseCamp I had to select 'Global Map' in a drop-down menu to then R-click on Dakota 20 to have the option of 'Install Maps on Dakota 20'.  However, when I did this. a dialog box appeared reading "MapInstall could not find installed product...pls unstall MapSource product". After clicking OK, another box appeared indicating a run-time error for MapInstall.
  Finally, with a little help, I wondered if problem was related to the particular map I installed. I could never 'open' or 'run' the map, I only received the installer box asking me if I wanted to install it. I've re-installed it a few times...from this box and by returning to FileDepot's website.  So, then I tried another map..a trail map. victory! MapInstaller popped up...  The newest map is a transparent one, so I didn't continue.  I want the topo map installed first.
  Does anyone have any advice on how I can get the Iowa Topo map installed on my Garmin?

maps4gps

If you have a 64-bit PC running Windows 7, we have found that a mapset using an 'older' installer need to be installed first.  'My Trails ...' is such a mapset.
Close BaseCamp and install IA topo.  Then reopen BaseCamp and both mapsets should be there.

flyangler

Thanks! that did allow me to open MapInstall. However, I'm not really certain if I transferred the map over to my gps. I selected the areas of the topo map that I wanted to save. I then selected a new waypoint, placed in 'my collection' as a means of allowing me to save and transfer selected map info to my gps.  However, when I compare both the BaseCamp map and my gps map at, say, .2 miles, I see more detail on the pc than the gps. I don't see the typical topo lines, the elevation (?) numbers or as many street/waterway titles on the gps. I see them on the pc. Did I just save a waypoint? I don't see topo lines at any zoom level. It doesn't look like the sample pics on FileDepot, although not the same gps unit.

Seldom

If you can see any topo lines on your GPSr?  If so, you've transferred the map.  Try adjusting your detail level settings on the DK.

Indrid Cold

What Profile do you have the GPS set to?

flyangler

I don't know what DK means. However, under Advanced Map Set-up, I set Detail to 'most',  and then selected 'Recreational' for Profile (I found 2 areas for profiles?).
I definitely have more detail/info than simply the Basemap. When zoomed in to .2 miles, etc., I just don't have displayed on the gps what is displayed on my pc's BaseCamp map at same zoom or what is detailed on the GPSFDepot example...ie topo lines, elevations. Thanks

maps4gps

DK is short for the Dakota model of GPSr you are using.
Try changing the profile to something other than recreational and then back to recreational.
Since a contour interval of 20 feet was used State wide on that mapset, the contour lines will be fairly 'light' in very flat areas.  As Seldom mentioned, increase the detail level to more or most.  The detail on the PC and GPSr should match at the same detail level and zoom display level; however, that is probably not an issue with Garmin as the software was likely just intended for transfering the data to the GPSr.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: flyangler on January 02, 2012, 05:35:03 AM
I don't know what DK means. However, under Advanced Map Set-up, I set Detail to 'most',  and then selected 'Recreational' for Profile (I found 2 areas for profiles?).

You want to select the Recreational Profile BEFORE switching the map detail to most or you are changing the detail of the profile you were in before switching to the Recreational. That setting stays with the profile.

flyangler

Bazaar to me, but maybe not to you!
After reading first of today's responses, I changed profile to Automotive with thought of returning to Recreational. With Automotive selected (note, I'd already selected 'most' for detail yesterday), I found topo lines and elevations! I re-selected Recreational and I was back to NO topo lines, etc. Then, I selected Marine, and it seems like I had an increased # of topo lines available, & then more detail still when I zoomed in (as compared to Automotive setting). Other profiles I'd created, such as 'NE IA' were just like Recreational profile...no topo lines, which will limit where I save certain maps(?), I believe...not there yet..

Then, I read second response. So, I switched to Recreational and from 'most' back to 'more' for Detail, looked at the map and it looked the same as it did yesterday. Then, I re-selected 'most' for Detail, went back to the map and it remained unchanged. No topo lines when Recreational profile selected.  BTW, I cont to return to the same area of map at same zoom level. Lots of elevation changes. Beautiful country!

I'd like to have topo on Recreational, but Marine is also good. I bought the gps for when I'm fishing streams/rivers and hiking. I only want to get lost near dark in 30* temps once in my life. (: Really appreciate the help! I know it will get easier. Next I will do the High Quality Trails map which is a transparency. Let's hope I don't have to post again.