Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  


Author Topic: Experience during the generation of NM topo  (Read 4502 times)

steffen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Experience during the generation of NM topo
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:21:04 AM »
First of all thank you for your great tutorial!!!

I am almost done with New Mexico. Due to heavy naming issues (spanish characters in many geo names) I was not able to use the PostgreSQL/Postgis for the NHD's, transportation and NGIS. The generaton of the sql files was successful, but I got tons of errors while putting those data into the db. Therefore I had to find other solutions, which was really difficult due to the huge amount of polygones, lines etc. The ngis POIs coming from USGS are in very poor quality (at least for New Mexico)! A lot of them had the same coordinates, others are using 0000000N and 0000000W, or they occour twice (e.g. La Ventana Arch). It tooks quite a long time to fix most of those things. Here are some additions/corrections for your tutorial:

1. The setup procedure for PostgreSQL/Postgis does not work for me. I had to install the db as a service, otherwise I had no configuration files, like pg_hba_conf… and I can't start the service of course

2. Instead of using the forest data from FSGeodata Clearinghouse, I took the data from here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/datasets.shtml [nofollow] The Clearinghouse data does not contain a .prj file nor trail and road names. The USFS data comes with all of them.

3. The US Fish & Wildlife Service http://www.fws.gov/data/statdata/index.html [nofollow] provides GIS for NWRs which could be useful as well

4. I also add urban data (current place) coming from Tiger

5. the border data in new_mexico.xls is not correct, south should be 31

6. tweaking POI data, e.g. seperate MP_TYPE for big cities...

7. ...

Best Regards,
Steffen

-Oz-

  • Map Maker!
  • Administrator
  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1579
  • Karma: 27
    • View Profile
    • GPSFileDepot
Re: Experience during the generation of NM topo
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
I wish I had known you were doing New Mexico.  I am just waiting for the last water data to be emailed to me.

I will correct the tutorial with your advice and fix the new_mexico file.

For number 6, does the tiger data include populations or city sizes?

I find it odd that the GNIS thing didn't work since it did for me; maybe I'm missing a lot of points which is definitely something I will look into.

Is your map all compiled?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

steffen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Experience during the generation of NM topo
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
I got an old tiger file from 2000. This one contains population data. But those informations are also available here (for the whole US): http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-NewMexico.html [nofollow]

I finished all the preparation steps. Compiling the data will be the next one.

-Oz-

  • Map Maker!
  • Administrator
  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1579
  • Karma: 27
    • View Profile
    • GPSFileDepot
Re: Experience during the generation of NM topo
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
Well, I updated all the excel sheets tonight there were quite a few with that calculation error.

I also started working on the GNIS program to handle the accents but visual basic doesn't like them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 07:15:51 PM by -Oz- »
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

steffen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Experience during the generation of NM topo
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:05:56 AM »
You should adapt your template file (dictionary_header.mp) to LBLcoding=9 and Codepage=1252. Otherwise all spanish accents will be replaced: "Ń" --> "-"