GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question making a map

Started by OpsY, March 02, 2012, 01:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpsY

Hello, this is my first post here I have a question to you all users. I have, like many others, used a GPS for recreational purpose over the years. Now, I find myself in a situation where I need to translate this GPS data (trails, mostly) onto a real life map, something like 2'x2' maybe bigger. I have used mapsource once 5 years ago and never GIS softwares. I would ideally need to have this map displaying the satellite view of the area Or/and topo, altho I would prefer a mix of both if it's possible i'm open to suggestions and help. I've been searching on Google for most of the day with no results.

Thanks for any assistance provided,

Seldom

Quote from: OpsY on March 02, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
. Now, I find myself in a situation where I need to translate this GPS data (trails, mostly) onto a real life map, something like 2'x2' maybe bigger.

By "real life" I assume you mean paper.  Do you have a plotter that big?  If you need somebody to plot it for you, talk to them first to see what formats they can handle.

OpsY

Sorry, what do you mean by plotter? My english isn't quite perfect. If it's reguarding the area I need to take points, chart roads and eventually print out it's roughly 1000 acres.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: OpsY on March 02, 2012, 03:24:24 PM
Sorry, what do you mean by plotter?
it's a large format paper printer such as poster sized paper, the paper is generally in rolls

OpsY

My boss's step brother works for a saw mill and he's chief of maps and things like that, already said he would print for us. I don't know the exact format but my issue is more into creating the map from the GPS points and lines i'll have made.

Indrid Cold

OpsY

Thanks for your answer. This again looks more for taking data and putting in GPS. I need the contrary. I need to be able to print out a map with the trails of the 1000 acre property for clients to take Hiking

I would like to add I believed mapsource could do these kind of things or even basecamp as it seems now but the maps aren't going from the GPS to basecamp so even this minimal editing is rendered worthless.

Seldom

Quote from: Indrid Cold on March 02, 2012, 05:11:22 PM
maybe look into http://www.gpx2img.com/

OpsY is looking for something to generate raster graphics to print out.  I was thinking maybe OziExplorer for 109 USD or Global Mapper for 399 USD.  But OpsY should research both to satisfy himself if either can print what he needs.

I don't know of any shareware raster mapping programs.  Maybe somebody else here does.

OpsY

Many thanks you for your answer. I will take a look. If someone knows of shareware however, that would be nice.

Seldom

Quote from: OpsY on March 02, 2012, 06:52:35 PM
Many thanks you for your answer. I will take a look. If someone knows of shareware however, that would be nice.

One other thing you need to consider is that  Google Earth imagery doesn't translate easily to other mapping programs.  If you have printer drivers that will support your friends plotter, and it does suitable graphics, you might try loading your tracklogs into Google Earth and plotting directly from your laptop.  Of course you wouldn't be able to get contours that way.  The only sure fire way to get contours I know of is Global Mapper.

The other question regards data availability.  Lots of free data in the US.  Maybe not so much where you are.  What part of the world to you want to plot anyway?

OpsY

I'm in Quebec, Canada. My only experience with all this is using a GPS on Anticosti island and some schools duty. Now for some safety reason, we need a map of our area ( we guide tourists on many outdoors activity and we need a big size map to explain ambulances and helicopters where to go if that's ever needed.

Seldom

There's lots of good free data for Canada.   This is the English link:
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/index.html
I guess there's a French one as well.